Hire the best Gardeners

lawn weeds

Default lawn weeds

These things established during winter and wondering what they are and how to deal with them. Pulling them out is futile as they just break off at ground level. Never seen them before. Any advice appreciated.
    lawn-weeds.jpg

Thanks droog, then I expect it is going to be a challenge to destroy them without killing the surrounding lawn.

There are selective herbicides that may work but will take some time and effort.
    https://lawnsolutionsaustralia.com.a...-of-the-bulbs/

It is noted as hard to kill due to the bulb being deep under the surface.

Have not dealt with Onion weed as a problem but have had to tackle a couple of other nasties, once under control a weed and feed will help knock down unwanted and boost the lawn to help keep it out.

there is a very expensive select herbicide that does onion weed (I can't remember if i bought it or not) as our back yard was full of it. the problem is that its SO expensive but seems to do huge area as a packet will cover 20,000m2
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

2K Club Member

I'm gradually getting on top of mine by pulling when the soil is damp, and sometimes use a small garden type fork to loosen around before pulling.
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    I'm gradually getting on top of mine by pulling when the soil is damp, and sometimes use a small garden type fork to loosen around before pulling.
    I just dug one out, tenacious thing and see why it is called an onion weed. Never seen them before and wonder how they get there...birds I guess.

Looks like good lawn to me

Onion weed is our plague here.

The best way to deal with it is to ignore it. It will gradually fade away. Onion weed is a coloniser of disturbed ground - it needs the soil biota of disturbed ground to flourish. Don’t dig it up or frig with it. Use poison if you must, but it thrives when you disturb the soil and crashes when the soil is left undisturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    Onion weed is our plague here.

The best way to deal with it is to ignore it. It will gradually fade away. Onion weed is a coloniser of disturbed ground - it needs the soil biota of disturbed ground to flourish. Don’t dig it up or frig with it. Use poison if you must, but it thrives when you disturb the soil and crashes when the soil is left undisturbed.
    I was about to buy a little tool to dig it out.

Remove the seed heads so the seeds don’t spread. Leave the rest of the plant alone and some time in the future they will be gone without you noticing.

Of course it does take 18 months to 2 years for the garden to transition to the undisturbed state where they will slowly disappear. From then on, you will see occasional plants appear here and there, poison those off if you can. Don’t turn those occasional plants into major infestations.

Golden Member

What others have said. While pulling out onion weed bulbs may be satisfying, it actually makes the problem worse by disturbing the ground more and scattering the bulbs you don't pick up. Just encourage the grass, use a lawnmower and the grass will suppress the onion weed. Yes, it will take a couple of seasons.

another option is as mentioned its only a small area....

its the most labour intensive, but you can use strong round up with a bit of dishwashing liquid and hand paint the onion weed leaves. the dishwashing liquid acts a surfactant and breaks down the waxy coating and holds the poison on the leaf long enough for the plant to soak it in.
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by havabeer View Post
    another option is as mentioned its only a small area....

its the most labour intensive, but you can use strong round up with a bit of dishwashing liquid and hand paint the onion weed leaves. the dishwashing liquid acts a surfactant and breaks down the waxy coating and holds the poison on the leaf long enough for the plant to soak it in.
    Today I snipped the flower heads. There aren't a lot but strange how they are suddenly appearing in dribs and drabs. I had intended to paint the leaves but thought pulling them out being better. But now I will paint the leaves with an artist's brush having listened to the advice given here.