Hire the best Gardeners

Pole saw or reciprocating saw for pruning trees?????

1K Club Member

Default Pole saw or reciprocating saw for pruning trees?????

Hmm… another post in two places (Tools and Gardening) in order to cover the ground.

I have just spent two days “pruning” an overgrown apple tree with a squillion watershoots up through its anti-deer netting. I didn’t do it last year but should have.
    Anyway after two days of being Tarzan on a ladder waving a hand saw, lopper and secateurs all over the place, the job is finished. But I still have more but smaller trees to deal with. Just as well I make cider from the apples or it might have been one cut, just above the ground.

This started me thinking about a powered pole saw. It would only have a workload of about a week per year so doesn’t need to be a super-dooper one. Just one that works. Most of the Youtube reviews lean towards battery rather than petrol units.

Most of my “proper battery tools” are Bosch Blue. Bosch do have a battery pole saw (skin only) which takes Bosch batteries, but the small print says Bosch Green only, not Bosch Blue… bugger!

So the scary bit is I have started looking at the “fringe dwellers”. Has anyone had experience with BBT, Giantz, etc. With these I am looking at $150-$250 compared with $700+ for Husky, Stihl, etc.

Another alternative is Bosch Blue reciprocating saws. Amazon have these for around the $150 mark (skin only).

So, what to do??? All opinions and advice are welcome.

Novice

Default Pole saw or reciprocating saw for pruning trees?????

Probably not what you want to hear
    I bought the ht 103 (2 stoke) or equivalent about 10 years ago. It was not a quick decision as I had to justify the cost to myself. I must say it is a great saw, we have 4 houses on suburban blocks so not a great amount of use but more than most. i drain it over winter and have not spent a cent on Maintainence. Starts easily and because of the ability to safely reduce the height of larger trees near buildings it has paid for itself twice over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4K Club Member

Husky electric pole saw is very good and much better for the not having a noisy, hot, stinky engine in your face while being used. Don't know about any cheapie pole saws, but I think you will pay for them several times over in failed batteries and broken chargers, if my experience with Ryobi battery garden tools is anything to go by (chain saw and mower).
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by chalkyt View Post
    So the scary bit is I have started looking at the “fringe dwellers”. Has anyone had experience with BBT, Giantz, etc. With these I am looking at $150-$250 compared with $700+ for Husky, Stihl, etc.

Personally wouldn't bother with the "fringe dwellers"

I'd just bought one yesterday Ryobi 240v electric to get a couple of branches high up in the air.
    Went for the 240v simply because they had no battery version in stock and needed to do the job yesterday.
    In hind sight it was a good decision as I had to attach a pole to the pole saw to get to the required height for 2 branches. With someone standing by extension cord, they could start/stop as required.

It had plenty of power but for me, really wish it had a 12" bar for cutting bigger branches to remove the need to scale a tree 5m in the air.
    You could argue it might fit into the "fringe Dweller" category but with 4 to 6 years warranty and usually no issues in returns as opposed to the ones you quoted along with just the odd small branches within reach of the standard implement pole length every 2+ years @ $240 it was an easy decision to avoid tree climbing/ladders.

1K Club Member

A bit of an update... scratching through eBay I came across a Melbourne based company, Toolstorm. They have chainsaw attachments for Honda (and other) brushcutters for around $60-$75. The photos look O.K. But, they just seem to be a basic attachment that requires removing the brushcutter head and fitting the polesaw.

Has anyone heard of or dealt with Toolstorm, or any opinons on the product? Although attaching it might be a bit fiddly, for once or twice a year it seems worth looking into. I have a 15 Y.O. Honda straight shaft brushcutter that just goes and goes.

I mentioned in your duplicate thread about attachments for a genuine Honda head.
    Mine does not have a brand and is not Toolstorm, but looking at the adds on eBay and Amazon I would be confident they came from the same manufacturer.

They are cheap and yes at times a bit fiddly, balance is also not the best. That said the attachments have done everything I have asked it to do, that includes the brush cutter, hedge trimmer and pole saw. Have lopped branches up to 120mm and at the end of 3 extensions so about 3 metres.
    If I needed to do this for a living it would be in the bin, but for a once or twice a year year task my money has been well spent.

I find the recipro pretty good for pruning tree's as you can get pruning blades for them. great for hacking up tree roots in the ground as well plus its just and all round good tool to have.

the down side is you actually have to take the tool to the job, so yes you're back up the ladder if you want to hack up the tall branches again
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Golden Member

I think this is the saw you were looking for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcuZHtiYkh0

1K Club Member

Thanks for the replies. The no-name Honda attachment looks like the answer, although I recommend that everyone looks at the Bart 1080 youtube and a few others like it. Man's ingenuity!!!

On a serious note, I am a bit touchy-feely when it comes to buying tools but the youtube saw does look a lot like the Giantz unit and seems to work quite well.

I have a little 18 volt Ozito pole saw I picked up from Bunnings about 2 years ago on special for $130.
    It works really well. In fact I often use it just for lopping branches off even just at shoulder height as it is quick, quiet and you don't get covered in woodchips.
    The battery last pretty well too.

Just my two bob.

Dave.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    I think this is the saw you were looking for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcuZHtiYkh0
    He could have easily cut the branches shown in the video with a manual Bahco or similar pull saw on a long pole. I have a collection of old aluminium swimming pool tool poles that put a blade 6m up into a tree.