Hire the best Gardeners

preserving rhubarb

4K Club Member

Default preserving rhubarb

I need some help as I have never preserved rhubarb before and the ecrop is much bigger than i can use at the moment, I want it to be there for making apple and rhubarb crumble during the winter
    Sugar levels and cooking / preserving time needed Thanx

Moondog, with all due deference to your culinary skills and palate I believe rhubarb should be left in the garden, markets, supermarket or where ever else its found and devoured by snails, slugs, moths in their larval stag and any thing else that has a need or desire to eat a most thoroughly nasty vegetable. I know there are better fruit and vegetables available to obtain fibre for ones dietary needs and they include almost every thing else. Best of luck.

4K Club Member

Dear Sir, in regard to your previous correspondence of the 12th of Jan 2011 I must humbly beg to differ.

Apart from its wonderfully purgative factor rhubarb is well know to heal most common ailments including melancholy, ill humours and the common cold. Some authorities do subscribe to the theory that this is because of the extremely large amounts of common sweetener usually associated with this particular vegetable but this author disagrees

I'm with you, Mr. Moondog.

As for the preservation thereof.....same as you would for apple.

If you have the freezer space just chop it into inch chunks, into a container or freezer bag and freeze it.

Otherwise, poach the rhubarb chunks in a 2 parts water to 1 part sugar syrup for a few minutes then cool and store.....or puree it and store it that way.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

4K Club Member

We just managed to borrow a dryer/dehydrator so I may experiment on the rhubarb, blanch in the sugar syrup, dry and then bottle using the syrup should work

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by mark53 View Post
    Moondog, with all due deference to your culinary skills and palate I believe rhubarb should be left in the garden, markets, supermarket or where ever else its found and devoured by snails, slugs, moths in their larval stag and any thing else that has a need or desire to eat a most thoroughly nasty vegetable. I know there are better fruit and vegetables available to obtain fibre for ones dietary needs and they include almost every thing else. Best of luck.
    Mark, have you ever had a bowl of just cooked rhubarb sprinkled with rice bubbles lots of cream... absolutley just the best

1K Club Member

I doubt dryign would be good as it is such a high moisture, low anything else vegetable. Preserving is simply cooking down to soft (but still in shape) and freeze. Or make jam, chutney, wine ... My wine is looking (and tasting) pretty good. More than can be said for the plants themselves which have been collapsing in the summer heat due to lack of presence on my part (being in Hobart during the week for work).