Hire the best Gardeners

Rubbish removal query

4K Club Member

Default Rubbish removal query

Has anybody here any experience at all with Airtasker or Hipages for rubbish removal?
    Our normal skip company no longer accepts dirt and soil and we have some old concrete needing to go but there will be more dirt too when we start laying the bricks properly.
    No ute or trailer anymore or I'd take it to the tip myself in small batches.
    Also I buggered my back last month and it's taking an extended time to come right
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Community Moderator

Do what they did on “The Great Escape” just bag it up and every week add a bit to the garbage bin.

Yeh, I take Bros's suggestion to a whole new level!!
    ...contentious issue for some but I'd make the council earn the ridiculous rates we all pay each year and bag it up each week...but many bags and top up some other bins after they are all put out into the street.

Funny stories:
    1. Been doing this for years both in town and out here in the country.
    Had an old stuffed couch to get rid of, broke it down and got rid of it over a month in our bin plus 3 or 4 others in the court each week!!!

2. Out here in the country, When I finished the 200 sq veranda around the house, had lots of rubbish left over - cement sheeting, tin, timber that I couldn't use for other purposes, insulation offcuts, concrete rubble.

Broke it down to gradually put it into my bin and a spare (unbagged) I have in the shed which I put out at the neighbors place (weekenders or once every month or so). Made sure the bins wern't heavy.

The garbo didnt like having building rubbish even though its going to the same place as I'd have to go . I got a warning sticker on my bin to not place building rubble in the bin and the bin left un-emptied.

So broke it down further, put it into many chaff bags and topped up 6 of the neighbor's bins in the area including mine. I got 4 warning stickers placed all over MY bin AGAIN to not place building rubble in the bin, and the bin left un-emptied but all the 6 neighbor's bins were emptied without issues.

Played this game for 6 weeks, dropping the amount of extra bins I'd dump rubble into down to 5 and using the neighbors place to empty my weekly household rubbish but still put my same bin out with the same bagged rubble and zipped tied that he cut twice to inspect.

After the third week, no more stickers on my bin, just left on the nature strip un-emptied...would see him get out to check it each week and roll around laughing inside the house. On the 6th week, different garbo came and it was simply emptied without issue and by that time all rubbish was gone

Community Moderator

One of my friends went to the dump to get rid of some old paint and they said "we don't take paint" so he asked him what do I do with it and they said take it home bag it and put it in the rubbish bin.

One of the catches is to not make the bun to heavy as they can weight it, I believe 45kg is the limit.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    Played this game for 6 weeks, dropping the amount of extra bins I'd dump rubble into down to 5 and using the neighbors place to empty my weekly household rubbish but still put my same bin out with the same bagged rubble and zipped tied that he cut twice to inspect.
    Never seen a garbo get out of a truck yet, seems like they are on a tight schedule and don't give a stuff.

4K Club Member

I'll buy some heavy duty garden bags next shopping trip then. The Boss is itching to get it done ASAP and so am I but I just priced a skip and even if it only has a 1/2 a cubic metre in it they want $200- and we now can't mix dirt & fill and concrete in the same skip.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Golden Member

Save yourself some trouble Bart; I just dump it in the bush.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Never seen a garbo get out of a truck yet, seems like they are on a tight schedule and don't give a stuff.
    I've seen council guys following the truck in a car. If the load is "too" heavy according to the truck guy, they inspect the bin while the truck waits. I've not seen them dig into the bin, probably an OH&S thing.

Moondog, try Phoenix Bins.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    I've seen council guys following the truck in a car.
    We are a bit more trustworthy.

A few months ago a rubbish truck here caught fire and had to dump its rubbish on the road, I wonder how common this is with all and sundry that goes out in the rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    I'll buy some heavy duty garden bags next shopping trip then.

Or if you know of horse people, they will likely have a tonne of empty chaff feed back for free.....even though the plastic bags are cheap to buy.

here's what I'm talking about
    https://poplarpetfood.com.au/products/chaff-mix-25kg

yeh, I've never seen a garbo worry about such trivial crap let alone get out of the truck. Must have been a new guy straight out of the "training academy" and running everything by the rule book......fun game though

He must have been thinking where is he putting his weekly rubbish.
    After the first time he cut the zip tie to inspect, topped up the bag with dog crap for a pleasant surprise next time he cut to inspect!

Just a word of caution with the the Airtaskers, they've got a bit of a reputation for fly tipping around here. It's all profit if you don't pay tip fees.

7K Club Member

We are a bit more trustworthy.
    How do you know?

Community Moderator

How do you know?
    They don’t subscribed to the “After the Lord Mayors Cart” here so I have to believe we are trustworthy.

7K Club Member

They don’t subscribed to the “After the Lord Mayors Cart” here so I have to believe we are trustworthy.

Community Moderator

I didn't quite get it right but https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/after...Mayor%27s_show

One of the catches is to not make the bun to heavy as they can weight it, I believe 45kg is the limit.
    I've disposed of whole engine blocks this way, watched the truck empty my bin once with a complete 4cyl engine block in it and the hydraulics struggled to lift the bin, when it emptied out the block must have plunged down through the other loose rubbish in the truck and hit the bottom with a loud THUD which made the truck bounce a bit! The driver got out and looked in the back, but the other rubbish must have covered the block because he scratched his head wondering what had happened, then got back in and drove off.
    I have a huge pile of old tyres to get rid of, have previously done it by cutting them into pieces and bagging them to put in the bin, but it's a long and involved process. But i really don't want to pay the current tyre disposal fees!

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MorganGT View Post
    I've disposed of whole engine blocks this way, watched the truck empty my bin once with a complete 4cyl engine block in it and the hydraulics struggled to lift the bin, when it emptied out the block must have plunged down through the other loose rubbish in the truck and hit the bottom with a loud THUD which made the truck bounce a bit! The driver got out and looked in the back, but the other rubbish must have covered the block because he scratched his head wondering what had happened, then got back in and drove off.
    Well that's taking it to the extreme.

Golden Member

Don't go to all that trouble cutting tyres, just burn then up in the scrub.