Hire the best Gardeners

Where lawn meets garden bed, what to edge it with to stop lawn spreading

Apprentice (new member)

Default Where lawn meets garden bed, what to edge it with to stop lawn spreading

Hi
    I am about to lay roll on lawn which will go to about 50cm off the fence.
    Between the edge of the lawn and the fence is going to be a garden bed, both lawn and garden bed on the same level.
    I want to edge the lawn to stop it growing into the garden bed.

I was thinking about getting 30cm strips of cement fibre board and sinking them into the ground with the top edge the same level as the garden bed/lawn.

Is this a good idea or does anyone have other ideas?
    Pepsi

2K Club Member

What you need to do depends on the type of grass. For example is it a creeping grass like buffalo that goes over the top or does it send runners underground?

I wouldn't think fibro would last well underground; being wet it would bend and break.

I would use treated pine or hardwood sleepers. You could use treated pine plinth (will rot after just a few years, but it's cheap). Or use metal edging.

Or pavers on edge, or bricks.

NRB

We used steel 150 mm deep,with it set around 50 mm in the ground,our grass is a couch type,this so far has stopped it running underneath
    I then whipper against the steel,this has been in place about 18 months,so far so good
    It is a type of steel that is designed to rust so whipping up to it does no damage
    I am not at home at the moment so can't tell you the name,it has a rold over top so no sharp edges,you can bend it to whatever profile you need

x 2 on the steel option we had that in our place when we moved in looked good and very functional, easy to whipper snip against.

Also while you think it might be a good idea to have the divider flush with the garden bed and lawn, I think you might find the practicality of maintaining the separation is difficult.

We have narrow ditches between the lawn and the garden beds. Buffalo is kept out with some lawn scissors.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

I just installed some cheap black plastic edging between garden and lawn. Remains to be seem how durable it is, but was the easiest solution for a curved edge. I've also used treated pine for straight before and it lasted well.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    We have narrow ditches between the lawn and the garden beds. Buffalo is kept out with some lawn scissors.
    X2 I have a mate who is a landscaper who does this, so around the edge of your garden the lawn is actually higher. But the garden bed is mounded up as it goes back like islands in the lawn.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the good options.
    As i am in a hurry as the lawn is coming next week, i might go for the narrow ditch for the time being and then look at metal edging