Hire the best Handyman

neighbour's shed

ajm
    Golden Member

Default neighbour's shed

One of our neighbours has spent the afternoon erecting a new shed. the rear wall of the shed is approximately 30cm off the boundary and sticks atleast that above the colourbond fence. the angle of the roof is such that when it next rains, any run off will either shoot straight over the fence into our yard or at the least, hit the fence, run down and then pool around the base of the fence which is a low point for ours, theirs, and a third neighbours' yard.

i should say at this point, that despite numerous attempts by us to meet and greet, these neighbours have been cold and unfriendly since they moved in. so when i asked them today what they planned to do with the run off from the new shed, i got a response of "nothing - the shed is under 10m2 so no need to do anything". we live in an area that stays damp after rain for days so we do not want extra water to contend with and have in fact spent many hours trying to figure out how to rid ourselves of the stuff we do have. we have even constructed a brick course, 2 bricks high, down the boundary between us and the third neighbour mentioned above to channel their run off (they have a raised concrete slab for a back yard) out to the street. the low point mentioned above also, is exacerbated by the runoff from this third property.

during the course of our searches we have come across the difference between storm water and overland flow. as i understand it, storm water is the water which runs off man made structures (to over simplify) and overland flow is the water which falls to ground and moves overland to lower points. with that in mind, i mentioned this to my neighbour, qualified with "as I understand it, i could be wrong..."

i got three responses. (i forgot to mention he had two helpers who looked like they might have been his dad and brother). neighbours response was as mentioned before "nothing". the dad response was to suggest guttering and redirecting the water to our down pipes to be carried out to the street. and the third, from the plumber (brother) whose company vehicle was parked in the driveway, was that it would be fully guttered and collected in a rainwater tank with any overflow sent to street.

the shed has not been finished today but the roofing is almost done. how long should i give them to install gutters, downpipes, tank, etc assuming they are going to do this?

has anybody else been in the same or a similar boat? should council be queried/notified? where do we stand and what can we expect? thoughts and musings please.

ajm

3K Club Member

Ring your local council office and discuss it with them, the rules on sheds can be very different not only from town to town but even suburbs within a town.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

7K Club Member

What's the lie of their land? If the shed wasn't there, would water runoff end up in a very different place? Is it pitched in the middle, so half the water goes to their side? Just wondering whether it's really worth the worry, given it sounds like (just) a 3x3m shed.

Anyway, I'd probably give them a few weeks to come good on the guttering.

Sounds like a small garden shed, with the storms you have up your way I would not worry about runoff from this.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another.

Are you a registered member? Why not? [COLOR=#495e72]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
    Sounds like a small garden shed, with the storms you have up your way I would not worry about runoff from this.
    It is a condition of Building Permits for outbuildings in Western Australia that all stormwater be "controlled on the property". This does not mean running the water over pavers, but taking it into say a soak well.

I'm not sure if this may apply to outbuilding which don't require an approval (like under 10m) but I suspect it would. A question for shire.

Novice

Default Shed in Brisbane

If its only a small garden shed (lawn locker) which it sounds like - there is no requirement to have storm water fitted in Brisbane provided you don't interrupt the natural flow of the water across the land. Its only when you get to class 10 buildings - large sheds that you need to have building approvals and storm water.

Old Chippy 6K

Not likely to be much of an issue - if it actually runs directly over your fence that is simply not allowed, but otherwise a small area and little impact on the water flow.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

ajm
    Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    Not likely to be much of an issue - if it actually runs directly over your fence that is simply not allowed, but otherwise a small area and little impact on the water flow.
    this is the poignant part: "if it runs over our fence" . have yet to see what happens in a really good downpour. he would have to finish it also - it hasn't moved since I initially posted.

Old Chippy 6K

Yes and that's not good, but neighbour disputes can get damn nasty damn quick - and are never pleasant. I'd be trying to talk to your neighbours again, but if that fails just wait and see what damage gets done.

If it simply means the extra water from half a roof (or the whole if it is a sloped skillion style) of a 3mx3m shed flows onto your land decide how much pain and anguish that's worth before taking things too far. Frankly that ain't much water even in a downpour. They don't sound to great, but we have just your viewpoint on the situation, and there're always at least two sides.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

ajm
    Golden Member

thanks bloss. we are in deagon which is bayside on the north. it gets, and stays, waterlogged quite quickly and with only a bit of rain. as such, any extra water is a pain as it pools and then stays muddy for weeks after. we also get the run off from this and another neighbour's (raised concrete slab above ground level and sloping down to the junction between the three properties) block. strangely enough, these two get along like a house on fire and don't seem to want to be friendly our way. boo hoo. woe is me. i made initial attempts to be friendly but that didn't work. maybe its me. oh no, can one get therapy through the forum....