Hire the best Handyman

Raised floor chicken coops?

4K Club Member

Default Raised floor chicken coops?

Not going to be large, just a half dozen to a dozen layers. But the question is; how far off the ground does the floor need to be to discourage rats?

Also are concrete pavers sufficient rat deterrent or should it be a poured slab?
    We aim to use the space between the shed and the fence as the run; plus an addition space when the run needs to lie fallow so the coop is only for nesting and resting.
    I aim to allow about 200mm per bird in width and have two parallel perches about 300mm apart but wondering if the second perch should be a the same level or somewhat higher, I get conflicting advice on that issue so looking for input
    I can see light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a freight train heading in my direction.
    We have insulation left over to do the roof and walls and I'm trying to scrounge enough mesh to fully enclose the run to keep out the sparrows and minas
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Depends on the size of the rats.

I suspect a suspended floor is going to be best so you can see anything underneath, problem is rats will still climb it unless you find a way to totally suspend the coup.

4K Club Member

If the size of the rat tunnels is anything to go by they should be large enough to saddle up and ride

One perch higher than the other is supposed to be best, doubt it matters much, main thing is to make sure they can't poo on each other. Size of perch is important, not too thin and should be rounded, not flat and no sharp edges. It's a foot thing.

Careful not to over insulate, they do need some ventilation.

Having said that I recently made one with branches for perch's, electric (solar) roof fan, some ceiling and wall insulation, an automatic door plus nesting boxes. we call it Cluckingham Palace. Has adequate room for 24 birds. It also has a double glazed window facing north with the correct eave for warm winter sun, no summer sun, this was all made from leftovers they only cost was tin for the roof, fan and door.

4K Club Member

Well we do have some spare double glazed panels here.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Having said that I recently made one with branches for perch's, electric (solar) roof fan, some ceiling and wall insulation, an automatic door plus nesting boxes. we call it Cluckingham Palace. Has adequate room for 24 birds. It also has a double glazed window facing north with the correct eave for warm winter sun, no summer sun, this was all made from leftovers they only cost was tin for the roof, fan and door.
    John, you cant put in that description without at least supplying a few pics!!!

img_0888-2-.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    John, you cant put in that description without at least supplying a few pics!!!
    It is our local community garden, chook yard and house in the top left hand corner. Will post a couple of closeups later

Golden Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFvcUFUgDO3/

Cant see much of the chook house but looks an amazing setup (the entire garden compound).
    Did you have a hand in building those raised garden beds? How are the 6 to 8m long ones holding up....were they floating or were posts sunk in the ground to stop them bowing out?

The 6 meter beds have a brace in the middle, otherwise they are just a box. Four of us built the bulk of the beds with a handful of others doing a single bed, probably 10 or so in total. Another bloke and myself fitted out the containers and built the gazebos and storage bays. We intended using large working bees of volunteers however lockdown 1 struck at the start and we had to resort to small groups however with two main volunteers. We have children’s groups, community groups and individuals despite lockdown we are functioning and growing membership. Once a month we have a social day kicking off with maintenance and finishing with pizza straight from our own oven

4K Club Member

Love real pizza fresh from a hot oven

4K Club Member

Has anybody made a coop with a mesh floor over the top of a removable tray?
    The coop will be a tiny 1200 * 900mm but tall and room enough for the dozen chooks we intend to get.
    I ask as I have enough LW gal steel sheet here to make up a tray and I know that factory laying hens are caged on mesh. If so what sized mesh would be advised? I was thinking 25 * 25 would work
    It's all expensive but it's also only a small sheet needed.
    Also I'm thinking about enclosing the whole run structure with mesh, the damned mynas, sparrows, starlings and feral doves are full of lice and mites and screening the run might well work out cheaper than de-lousing the chooks every three months or so. I'll use steel battens etc to minimise hiding places for the parasites too so it' possible only the roof that will get insulated.

4K Club Member

I've started collecting treated pine packers from Bunnings. The ones that are 90 * 70 with the strapping groove in them; If I use the longer ones I can get the floor of the coop high enough off the ground that I don't have to bend to gather eggs

chicken_coop.jpgchicken_coop1.jpgchicken_coop2.jpgchicken_coop3.jpg

Never owned chooks before, but this is what I built in Melbourne's Lockdown 1.0. More than one year on, we still dont have chooks - mainly because we had been delaying a trip overseas on compassionate grounds due to case numbers and didnt want to leave them in hands of friends for several months.

Nest boxes are outside the pen to maximise chooks' space inside pen and so the eggs can be collected without having to go inside every day.

There is a manual lift door on the right hand side (of the first picture) so the chooks can get out and i may make a run for them down the right hand fence line

4K Club Member

Nice and sort of like the picture I have in my head, just a bit higher off the ground for us.

Community Moderator

Mate of mine has an acreage and a heap of Guinea fowls that free range during the day and get locked up in a coop like the above overnight.

Came down one morning and he found a pot belly snake in the coop no more Guinea fowls and no more snake

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Mate of mine has an acreage and a heap of Guinea fowls that free range during the day and get locked up in a coop like the above overnight.

Came down one morning and he found a pot belly snake in the coop no more Guinea fowls and no more snake
    hopefully wont have issue in inner-west Melbourne - but we do have big fox issues. so i actually dug a channel around all of the pen and buried a row of mesh to stop anything from digging under...hopefully

chicken_coop4.jpg

This elevated coup has a pull out tray under the laying box to remove dung and room enough underneath for the birds to get out of the sun. Post 7 shows the roof and chook yard. Built from leftovers but with new iron on the roof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0999.jpg