Hire the best Handyman

Storage Shed

diy

Default Storage Shed

Hi guys.

Im looking at building a small shed on the side of the house for Lawn mower, shovels etc. Only have around 3m x 1.5m to play with but will be enough for what i need.

Im on a very tight budget so need to spend as less as possible (less than buying a colourbond shed which are around $500).

Im not really sure what method i should use to build it.

I have to dig out and level the area as it is on a slope. Have to build a small retaining wall on 2 sides. I have pavers which i want to use for the floor using road base underneath. I also have colourbond roofing which i was going to use for the roof and walls as its free.

Basically im not sure if i should concrete posts in the ground then go from there. Would i concrete the posts, then use some timber across the bottom to act as formwork for my road base? Then obviously the rest of the timber across for roof etc.

Or dig a trench the diamter of the shed and use sleepers (or some other treated pine, what size?) with small posts attached underneath and concreted in as the base then build on top of them? Have the sleepers in the ground half way so my road base can sit inside the area? Then i could simply build the walls seperately and attach them wall by wall.

Never really done anything like this. Built a few pergolas but that was simply concreting posts in the ground and building the roof. Havent done walls etc before.

Cheers.

1K Club Member

Concrete your posts in first, then you can nail off boards to finished level.
    I would concrete a trench around perimeter then lay edge pavers on that.(Also good if fixing wall frames to ground)

Old Chippy 6K

For this type of shed you could level and simply build a wooden framed floor directly onto compacted road base, blue metal scrapings using H4 TP pr even sleepers if you can select some good ones. Then just frame up and attach frame to wall - waterproofing the wall side needs to be thought through so you flash properly.

Have to say IMO you really will save very little compared with a suitably sized steel kit shed that can sit on pavers or a slab or a TP base. Making frames, building door openings, hanging doors, roofing, wall sheets, making sure it is watertight and so on - all takes lots of knowledge and much time - usually way more time than most people estimate.

The lean-to type steel sheds are not always as dear as $500 (look for 'specials') - and if you want to save you can get uncoated ones and paint - but that saves little either IMO. I'd be researching the steel shed option a bit more - buy it and have it up in a day.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Golden Member

If you were to consider an Absco Spacesaver Shed or other Absco shed, before the end of the month, here is a discount voucher:

We have two offers for you to take advantage of....
    <!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->10% discount for January 2010 on any ABSCO product, simply shop at ABSCO DELIVERED and use this coupon code MHC154R05 during checkout.<o>></o>>
    <!--[if !supportLists]-->2.<!--[endif]-->10% discount for January 2010 on any of the 16,000 hardware lines from our friends at HARDWARE DELIVERED and use this coupon code I25MD2B346MM during checkout.<o>></o>>
    Yes this is transferable so please tell your friends!

diy

Thanks for the advice and tips guys. Thats exactly what im doing Bloss levelling the ground with road base then building on top and paving inside the frame.

Ive already purchased all the timber for the shed. Should cost me $250 maximum to have it finished as ive already got roof/ wall sheeting, screws, bolts, pavers, an unused new door etc. We've been renovating for the last 5 months so we have alot of stuff left over.

The cheapest steel shed i found was $500 locally and then i still had to get all the materials for retaining walls on top of that. In the end the whole project should cost around that, probably less.

Certainly agree with underestimating how long it takes though