Hire the best Door Expert

Basic question about garage door openers

Default Basic question about garage door openers

Hi. I'm thinking about installing a garage door opener in our garage. We've never had one there before so I dont know much about them and I'm stumped by a very simple question. There is no other way into this garage then through the garage door - which is an old fashioned timber tilt door. So what would happen if, say, the opener motor jammed or the belt/chain seized or something like that ? How would I get into the garage to sort it out ?

cheers
    Arron

Hi Arron,

Fair enough question.....is there a window?

Ultimately, you have to weigh up the benefit/convenience as opposed to the possibility that something may happen in the future such as you have described?

Maybe give a garage door installer place a call and pose the question to them?

Cheers
    sabre

Quote Originally Posted by SabreOne View Post
    Hi Arron,

Fair enough question.....is there a window?

Ultimately, you have to weigh up the benefit/convenience as opposed to the possibility that something may happen in the future such as you have described?

Maybe give a garage door installer place a call and pose the question to them?

Cheers
    sabre
    No, no window or any other way in. Its one of those garages under a single storey house on a sloping site.

I think, as these things are electric/electronic they will fail some day. Must happen to a lot of people, so what they do ?

Arron

In iron clad garages/sheds you can just take off a sheet or two and get in that way. Brick of other non fastened shed, I'd day you have to brute force the door open.

not sure if it solves all of the things that could go wrong, but I had exactly that at my last house and to get around power outages etc there was a key supplied to open an access to pull on the chain manually. so you could still get your car out to go to work

Quote Originally Posted by toooldforthis View Post
    not sure if it solves all of the things that could go wrong, but I had exactly that at my last house and to get around power outages etc there was a key supplied to open an access to pull on the chain manually. so you could still get your car out to go to work
    OK, I researched this and it seems the makers usually sell key release kits - which work like you say. i'll need to purchase one of them.
    Cheers and thanks
    Arron

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    Hi. I'm thinking about installing a garage door opener in our garage. We've never had one there before so I dont know much about them and I'm stumped by a very simple question. There is no other way into this garage then through the garage door - which is an old fashioned timber tilt door. So what would happen if, say, the opener motor jammed or the belt/chain seized or something like that ? How would I get into the garage to sort it out ?

cheers
    Arron
    We had one installed years ago...and I was wondering the same thing...mentioned it to the wife and got a strange look.

Then a few months later the power went out in our area and she couldn't back the car out. All you do is lift it up manually...without power running to them you can just lift them up like a normal garage door.

The other scenario you mention - chain seized, etc can happen regardless of if its powered or not.

They are so convenient its really not even worth thinking of what happens if something goes wrong...

All you do is lift it up manually...without power running to them you can just lift them up like a normal garage door
    So to break into your garage all I need to do is turn your power off and open the door?
    Think the key release system is better from a security point of view, either that or security on your power/fuse box.

Quote Originally Posted by toooldforthis View Post
    So to break into your garage all I need to do is turn your power off and open the door?
    Think the key release system is better from a security point of view, either that or security on your power/fuse box.
    Yep, something is wrong with that installation.

Btw I found a key release in Bunnings today - $36.

Cheers
    Arron

I have a motor operated tilt door. It is designed that in case of motor or other failure (it has happened more than once in twenty years), the key is inserted into handle to unlock the handle. When the handle is turned it pulls out a pin releasing the door from the motor driven mechanism. The door can then be lifted up and if need be propped open to access the garage. When repairs have been made, it is just a matter of reinserting the pin to connect up the drive and making sure the handle is locked.

On the one occasion that this did not work, a few rivets on the door were drilled out to allow someone into the garage so they could release the mechanism and open the door.

Talk to suppliers as to their override features in case of failure.