Hire the best Door Expert

Bifold door installation

Novice

Default Bifold door installation

Hi All

I am planning to install bifold doors myself. I have abiulder doing the opening. The installation instruction state to fix the header plate to the beam first & takes the load. The header plate is around 120mm thick. I was wondering the (1) best method of securing the header jamb to the wall beam? dynabolts maybe but would need to counter bore the holes in the header jamb and (2) to secure the sides & bottom plate of the door jamb.

Cheers

Scott

dib

Think about getting the builder to do the jambs, they just need to be nailed with packers to get the jambs plumb and square with the right opening sizes but the builder will do this very quickly ( watch and learn though) then you can mess around with the door/s and associated bits.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by dib View Post
    Think about getting the builder to do the jambs, they just need to be nailed with packers to get the jambs plumb and square with the right opening sizes but the builder will do this very quickly ( watch and learn though) then you can mess around with the door/s and associated bits.
    I agree, I thought that too but the builder won't do it and gave me the number of a chippie who will only come round once the opening has been cut which leaves a whacking great hole in the house until the chippie can get the work booked in. And being near christmas that could be some time!!

Fishn' Chippie

Are they internal or external Bi-Folds? I know quite a few "tradesman" who either can't or won't do bi-folds for one reason or another, i admit some can be nightmares, im wondering why your builder won't do them, seems a bit odd as he's there allready.

Novice

They are external doors. I have decided to install them myself. & thinking of going with the dynabolt option at this point!!

Fishn' Chippie

Dynabolts are for fixing to concrete/blockwork etc not timber, they may be suitable for fixing your sill if you have a concrete slab but the top and sides can be fixed with timber screws and packed appropriately.

dib

Scott, Could you give a description of the "hole" that youve got and what framing / brickwork you have. I'd have expected that there would have been or at least need to have a rough opening framed with a lintel (a beam above the opening).