Hire the best Door Expert

Choosing a 2nd hand panel lift garage door

Default Choosing a 2nd hand panel lift garage door

I've just had my house relevelled, and have had some reinforcing put in and some posts removed in the process to make my 2 single tilt garage doors into 1 double garage door. I'm wanting to put in a panel lift door, and am thinking of getting a 2nd hand one for budget reasons. The new door will not be going where the existing tilt doors are, they're sitting a little outwards (I had some walls put up under the verandah to make my garage a tad longer)

Questions:
    - How do I select a door? The opening is currently not built in, so I would assume any door smaller than the opening would work?
    - How difficult are they to install? Is it a case of lining the rails up and bolting together, sliding the panels in and bolting those together? Any awkward (or dangerous) springs etc I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Spoke to a few garage door people and had a few of them come out to do a quote and measure, and unfortunately it looks like I can't get a panel door due to headroom restrictions. My only viable option is to go with a tilt door, and not many companies do them anymore, much less in double width size. The cheapest quote I've managed to get is about $3500, which is really quite a lot. I've been scouring the demolition companies and trading post for a 2nd hand door tilt but have not had any luck.

Does anyone here know of any places near Ipswich I might find a factory second/second hand tilt door? Why are they so expensive, at least so much more expensive than any other door? They certainly look a lot simpler. Is it a viable option to build one from scratch? The current (single) doors look very simple, some bits of steel riveted together...

House Husband - 1K Club Member
    Upper Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

demuire,
    I'm demoing a garage with a double sized tilt door in a couple of months ( I was going to offer the garage, tin, steel frame and wooden battons free to anyone who would dismantle and remove.)
    Its quite old (1966) , a bit bent, but all the mechanism is complete and working.

sundancewfs: Thanks for the offer What is the mechanism like? Is it the sort with the supporting rails on the top etc? The mechanism etc doesn't appear to be that expensive so I was thinking of buying new from B&D, however I'm having trouble finding a door What sort of door is it? Trimdek fascia? Is the frame any good?

House Husband - 1K Club Member
    Upper Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

demuire
    I just noticed where you are based.....
    sort of rules out my door, based on distance.
    Its the sort with the big springs on either side. It tilts up, its about 5m wide and is in pretty rough condition. Maybe a salvage yard in your area might have something?

Have been looking around the demolishing/recycling places around here, but haven't been able to find any double tilt doors - all single, roller or panel lift doors...