Hire the best Door Expert

curtain poles

Default curtain poles

I'm going to be installing a wooden and chrome set of these http://www.mdinternational.co.in/sma...-03-850177.jpg, with the brackets screwed into the ceiling.... Now the law of gravity is what comes up must come down, these are heavy poles and will be heavier when the curtains are hung on. What should I use in addition to the hardware supplied in the pack to avoid the whole setup from falling on a tenants head and getting a lawsuit? BTW these poles are replacing the existing curtain track which looks like it has been there since the place was built, and is also screwed into the ceiling...

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

fixings should be fine as long as you are fixing into solid timber in the ceiling. Don't use plugs into plasterboard!

It's an apartment so I don't think the ceiling is made from wood, more like concrete.. so is this okay?

G'day,

Get some Red or Green spaghetti plugs 50mm long, use a 5.5m drill bit for red and 6.5mm for green and some coarse thread screws at least 8g. You'll need a decent hammer drill to drill the holes. Also be careful when you start the holes, it's easy to break off big pieces of hard plaster. Drill thru this with a normal drill bit first or have the hammer action off when you start the hole. An SDS type hammer drill will make lite work of it, a "normal" drill with hammer action will take a while. If you're unsure try the red 5mm first, if it doesn't grab you can still use the green later.

thanks very much

ramset make an orange plug that IMHO is far superior than spaghetti plugs. Depnds on how heavy your curtians are though.

Why are you fixing to the ceiling rather than the walls?

because the original tracks are screwed into the ceiling, and as I am replacing aren't I supposed to install the poles using the existing screw holes ? If I screw into wall horizontally, do i NEED to fill in the holes from the original tracks? Sorry if I sound clueless.. this is the first time I've done this....tanks

put the new ones whereever you want, just fill the old holes with spacfiller or similar and paint over!

Hi , if you hav'nt already started , check the existing poles by giving them a tug , if the feel firm then unscrew and have a look at the length and thickness of the screws.If by any chance the new brackets match the hole position then go ahead as long as the screw sizes are similar. If the holes don't quite match then its better to move to a fresh piece of concrete and start afresh and do as Godzilla mentioned above!