Hire the best Door Expert

DIY double glazing, wooden double hung sash windows

Apprentice (new member)

Default DIY double glazing, wooden double hung sash windows

Hi all

Advice and experiences please. Our 1950s fibro house has wooden double hung sash windows, with flat spring balances. Timber is in excellent condition inside, and serviceable outside. I want to keep them, and double glaze where possible. I cannot afford replacement double glazed sash windows, so I am looking at buying IGUs and installing myself.

Two of them have 3 sets of double hung windows side by side, with the centre set not moving they still have two separate sashes, but fixed in place. I am thinking that for those, I will remove both sashes and install an IGU directly into the frame that the sashes were in, hopefully from inside to avoid removing the external trim and casing. I will use setting blocks + tape + silicone + wooden bead one side to fit it.

Two options I am thinking of for these:

1) Replace the parting bead with something larger, and install the same along the bottom; then I can install the IGU against this from the inside and trim with a wooden bead inside.

2) Remove the parting bead and make good, install the IGU against the outside running rail from the inside (again will need something along the bottom) and trim with a wooden bead inside.

Does that sound plausible? Anybody done it? Does it look any good?

And now for the other sashes: each sash is split into 2 panes of glass by a horizontal bar. Can I remove that bar and glaze with one piece instead of 2?

All input, ridicule etc gratefully received!

Being an old fibro home, are your walls insulated as that might be a better area to start.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Being an old fibro home, are your walls insulated as that might be a better area to start.
    Yes, walls, ceilings and most floors have been insulated.

Geeze, you'll need that tonight

I have retrofitted double glazing across the whole house into Stegbar double hung windows previously fitted with 3mm float glass. On the windows it was a process of remove the glazing bead and then the glass. With a router trimmer I had a very small straight piece made with a bearing, Carbitool's smallest template follower bit shortened, the sliding windows I removed the window, put on a bench and deepened the grove and fitted the new double glazing. For fixed panes I had to make up a small jig so they could be cleaned out from the inside of the window frame. A chisel and rebate plane where used to clean out the corners. I was able to reuse the glazing bead. I actually went to Stegar's main outlet and had a look at there new double glazed product and replicated that. The old beads got a bit of a trim as well. Cost about $7000 for the house for 50 pieces. The sashes become heavier and you need to replace the springs, something I haven't got around two tightening the tension on the metal sash units instead.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Geeze, you'll need that tonight
    Yeah I'm not going to take those windows out till spring!

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    I have retrofitted double glazing across the whole house

Thanks john for that comprehensive info. Were they relatively recent Stegbar windows? I imagine that in any case I've got a fair bit of fiddly router and chisel work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Camper View Post

Thanks john for that comprehensive info. Were they relatively recent Stegbar windows? I imagine that in any case I've got a fair bit of fiddly router and chisel work to do.
    About 35yo, although the basic design hasn't changed that much