Hire the best Door Expert

double glazing an old leadlight

Default double glazing an old leadlight

Hi,
    I purchased old leadlights and since I live in a cold place (upper Blue Mountains) I have been thinking of the option of double glazing them, but I don't know how feasible it is. I guess I am willing to settle for less then optimal (aragon gas or vacuum) solution. Does anyone know how difficult/expensive it would be and could recommend someone who would do it anywhere between Bathurst and Sydney?
    thanks

hi - if you could post some pics it would give me a good indication if my idea would work, but I think it will .... a few years ago I added additional glazing to two leadlight windows by rebating the window frames and installing a single sheet of clear polycarbonate over the leadlight(room side). Note that this was after refurbishing each leadlight so it sealed as well as possible in its own right. The creation of these air pockets made a huge difference in the room's heat gain/loss. BTW I used polycarbonate because it can be cut using a circular saw, final-trimmed using a handplane or sanding block and is practically unbreakable.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Thanks for that. Let me see if I got it correctly: did you plant the poly in front of the leadlight (you wrote room-side) or external to it? If inside, doesn't it look odd to see the leadlight through the poly? In my case nobody will look at the window from the outside, so it would make more sense to place it outside.
    and another question: what about condensation? I know with proper double glazing the put in some stuff that sucks it out of the air.

I'll email a shot of the leadlight tomorrow. Its a real nice one.

thanks again

We placed it inside - never had any hassles with condensation, but if you wanted to you could place silica gel crystals in the cavity. The polycarbonate is as clear as glass. Not sure if it is 100% unaffected by UV but it would be easy to find out - BTW I bought the small sheets of poly from a Home Hardware store. I think it was around $35 per sheet but may be wrong.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Thanks again, here is the picture. I've got two pairs but one needs restoration. They are currently sashes as you can see but I am going to frame each pair together using the original timber (lovely old oregon which I will strip) and turn them into two hoppers.
    Don't you think they will look better in my case with the poly external to the leadlight?

thanks again

<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" style='width:99pt; height:168.75pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\LILON\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_i mage001.png" o:title="" cropleft="7864f" cropright="28836f"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leadlight-kitchen.jpg  

Default update

Long overdue but I finally moved one of the old leadlights into a second hand frame I've picked up for 1 dollar on ebay, and here are the results. I actually added the double glazing on the outside to protect it from the elements. I used a perspex sheet and it is very important to accommodate for temp differences as it expands quite significantly in hot weather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0225_1_1.jpg