Hire the best Door Expert

Double Glazing Wooden Sliding Door/Window

Apprentice (new member)

Default Double Glazing Wooden Sliding Door/Window

I am looking to replace the existing 3mm float glass in my timber framed sliding door/window with something with better insulating properties (thermal not sound). My wife is very concerned about the added weight of the doors and wants me to just use 6.3mm laminated e-glass but I am still keen to try and get double glazing.

rear-window-dims.jpg

To keep the weight down and allow it to fit in the frames I am hoping for 3mm/6mm/3mm double glazed units. I would be removing the narrow timber cross members using just 2 larger pieces of glass in each door/window. To keep the look the same I would use thin timber strips fixed to the glass.
    Any glazing much thicker than this would be a problem fitting them into the frames and also be heavier.

The glass would have to be toughened but will that be enough to meet current regulations? It would appear to according to AS1288-2006 Sect 5.2 and 5.22 but are there any other (newer?) regulations/standards that would apply?

Also does anyone use Krypton gas in double glazing here in Melbourne? It appears to work much better than Argon in such narrow units.

Greg.

2K Club Member

The weight might only be an issue if the existing rollers are worn or not up to the weight.

However, you might find it better just to order new doors with a better air gap and argon gas.

Can you get 3mm toughened or laminated glass? I thought 4mm was more likely these days?

I am fairly certain it would have to be 4mm toughened in those doors. The cost for those small panels will be mind blowing. It would probably be cheaper to get a new door made with a single sheet of glass, same goes for the frame. My guess is you will pay $250 per panel.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    The weight might only be an issue if the existing rollers are worn or not up to the weight.

However, you might find it better just to order new doors with a better air gap and argon gas.

Can you get 3mm toughened or laminated glass? I thought 4mm was more likely these days?
    The rollers and tracks are in good condition but they would be marginal for weight with the new glass. I am looking to replace the rollers with brass ones (currently they are nylon) to see what difference that makes.

4mm certainly is the common size these days. I hoping to get confirmation the 3mm toughened is still allowed before hunting too hard to find it.

2K Club Member

Please refer to the new 2019 NCC - section 3.6 Glazing.

Itís online and its free.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Please refer to the new 2019 NCC - section 3.6 Glazing.

It’s online and its free.
    Thank you joynz. That is exactly what I was after.

The NCC does change what AS1288 says such that I do need to use 4mm toughened or 5.38 laminated glass. I had assumed that this would end up being the case but I did not want to use it just because it was going to be the easy solution.