Hire the best Door Expert

Entrance Door (2000 x 820) Can i cut?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Entrance Door (2000 x 820) Can i cut?

Hi All,

Purchased an ancient house that ive almost finished renovating.
    The entrance door appears to be MDF 2000 x 820, All the doors i can find are 2040 x 820, are there any doors where i can cut 40mm off the bottom? I was interested in some hume entrance doors, but they state only 3mm can be taken off any edge.

Budget: $250 - 350

Also, i cannot remove the frame or play with it, the frame is a square (connected to a bottom piece) that is secured strongly and there is asbestos above the frame on the exterior. My only option is to find a door i can cut down to 2000, but im struggling to identify which doors can be cut, or if all of them can be cut that much from the bttom

Thanks

What type of door are you looking for, one with glass or a solid flat door.

You could knock 20mm off the top and bottom of most entrance doors but would void any warranty.

If you don't want a glazed door, you can buy solid flat doors that can be resized to any size, you could do some beading or other decoration easily on the doors surface to change the look.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+...w=1496&bih=754

This type of Hume door can be resized as it's blockboard construction, it comes in various sizes.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/hume-doo...-door_p1973174

Note: this is not what they call a Solicore door, it's called a Block Board construction

Here is an explanation of the various types of door construction.
    https://www.humedoors.com.au/flush
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    What type of door are you looking for, one with glass or a solid flat door.
    I was leaning towards this common RenoLink door with glass - Link
    If Solid (But not flat), maybe this - Link (Hume) or This (Corinthian) or This (Corinthian)

Thanks for the reply

I know, that Corinthian oak door cannot be resized to what you want as I installed one last week, they are a nice door, actually the whole oak series are nice doors.
    The Renolink one, I don't know as haven't used one before, I don't particularly like that 4 glass door, it was so common as a standard fitment on project homes (painted version), there are a lot more nicer doors around for the same price.

IMO the 4 glazing version is out of proportion to the door size, the 5 or 6 panel version look more balanced design wise.

Saying that, it might be the door to look at as it has the massive top and bottom rails so taking 20mm off probably won't be a problem.

Resizing doors is usually critical when resizing the width as they only have small cover timbers in the sides hiding what's inside.
    I have had to resize height's of doors such as the savoy due to site limitations and that was the door they wanted and had already purchased it etc etc.

I have taken 20 - 25mm off tops and bottoms of some doors with no effects to the longevity of the door (depends on the door).
    I do warn the clients that it voids any warranty from the manufacturer, and I would not warrant my work if the door has issues later on as this is what they requested me to do (I get this is writing).

For the weird sized openings, normally I would recommend them to go with a solid door and I will do some sort of feature panelling on it to make it look a lot nicer.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    IMO the 4 glazing version is out of proportion to the door size, the 5 or 6 panel version look more balanced design wise.

Saying that, it might be the door to look at as it has the massive top and bottom rails so taking 20mm off probably won't be a problem.
    How did you figure out it has massive rails? the guide for it says only 3mm can be taken off

Is doing a feature paneling difficult? where can i get these solid doors?

I would be wary of veneered doors having enough solid timber allowing resizing or risk exposing particle board core if that is part of the construction.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I would be wary of veneered doors having enough solid timber allowing resizing or risk exposing particle board core if that is part of the construction.
    I think its plywood for some, but who knows what grade

Any recommendations from anyone for specific doors or companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzar View Post
    How did you figure out it has massive rails? the guide for it says only 3mm can be taken off

Is doing a feature paneling difficult? where can i get these solid doors?
    Umm, look at the door you linked to, the top and bottom rails are not full of air, they are some sort of timber in there as it's what's holding the thing together, all manufacturers recommend 3mm max, it's an industry standard.
    I already linked to a solid door you can buy to do what you need, read my post.

No panelling is not hard for a basic design, again look at the link I posted for examples of how DIY people have done it.