Hire the best Door Expert

Entrance set

Default Entrance set

G'day everyone,
    I currently have a Gainsborough Trilock on my front door. I'm looking to replace this one, as well as add another 2 similar ones on other doors around the house. Are there any other brands that offer the same '3 in 1' functionality of the Trilock?
    Thanks for looking,
    Steve.

7K Club Member

I really like Trilock. Have 3 of them, for 18 years. A couple of problems like latch springs getting fatigued, and I've actually ordered a few springs (too expensive for what they are... anyway is what it is)

Why are you changing?

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    I really like Trilock. Have 3 of them, for 18 years. A couple of problems like latch springs getting fatigued, and I've actually ordered a few springs (too expensive for what they are... anyway is what it is)

Why are you changing?
    Thanks @r3nov8or
    Mainly, I want to add this type of lock to 2 other doors, and I don't think I'll get a match wtih the one I have now. I think I'll change from knobs to levers as well. The one I have is over 20 years old, so probably due for a replacement?
    When I was speaking to the local locksmith (ages ago now) he said that Gainsborough stuff wasn't the best and that there were some new products coming out that were better.
    Thanks again,
    Steve

7K Club Member

Perhaps ask the locksmith what he would recommend with the features you want.

"20 years" and quality "not the best" doesn't really gel...

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Perhaps ask the locksmith what he would recommend with the features you want.

"20 years" and quality "not the best" doesn't really gel...
    True, maybe he was just trying to sell a brand that he stocked instead?

The two year old Trilocks I fitted in our last renovation look just as solid and quality construction as the ones I fitted twenty years ago.

Have not looked at current stock on the shelves.

Thanks @droog.
    Now for a hopefully simple question. Can a single round knob entrance handle be replaced easily with a plate type, such as the Trilock? Is it a pull out and replace, or is there more work that needs doing?
    Thanks to everyone that has replied so far, I appreciate your thoughts.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey View Post
    Thanks @droog.
    Now for a hopefully simple question. Can a single round knob entrance handle be replaced easily with a plate type, such as the Trilock? Is it a pull out and replace, or is there more work that needs doing?
    Thanks to everyone that has replied so far, I appreciate your thoughts.
    Steve

Depends on what you consider an "easy" replacement and what size shape hole is currently present for the "single round knob entrance handle"

Template for the Trilock fitting here:
    https://www.gainsboroughhardware.com...raditional.pdf

Work will need doing its not a one hole fits all, a lot depends on your skill level.
    In most cases your existing lock will likely be a smaller cut out but you will need to check, and is it in the correct location or will be covered by the new lock.
    If the existing hole is in the correct location but needs to be bigger you will need a guide to centre the holesaw.

Many thanks for your detailed response droog. I'll keep on researching my options.

Thanks @r3nov8or
    Mainly, I want to add this type of lock to 2 other doors, and I don't think I'll get a match wtih the one I have now. I think I'll change from knobs to levers as well. The one I have is over 20 years old, so probably due for a replacement?
    When I was speaking to the local locksmith (ages ago now) he said that Gainsborough stuff wasn't the best and that there were some new products coming out that were better.
    Thanks again,
    Steve
    I have installed a few Trilock and, the Lockwood Nexion is the only other product I would use in place of a Trilock, the early Trilock has a complicated installation mechanism that if not installed correctly the lock won;t work.
    Whereas the Nexion has the simplest installation of any of these 3-in-1 locks.

I have had some issues with Trilock, the issue was sorted straight away from Gainsborough by sending a replacement mechanism, no help from Hardware and General who were adamant in not helping me get the issue solved.
    Needless to say I never purchased another lock from H&G.

Both locks are good quality, I wouldn't have any hesitation recommending either brand, I wouldn't bother with the cheapy "copies" by other companies, the quality looks dubious on them.

You need to be careful with Trilock, the original series needed two 54mm holes drilled to accommodate the complicated mechanism, the newer Urban series only requires a single hoes the same as Nexion.

Yes you can convert a traditional single handle to a Trilock, just need to use the existing latch position for the Trilock and you can work it.
    You can still purchase the original round knob version, the lever version is more convenient to use, and looks a bit more modern.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg   capture-1.jpg  
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Thanks Metrix, that's very helpful. I read your post about H&G when I was searching for info.
    When you mentioned 'cheapy copies', would you be able to elaborate or specify any particular brands to avoid? I'm happy for you to PM me if you'd rather not do it on the open forum.
    Thanks again,
    Steve

Thanks Metrix, that's very helpful. I read your post about H&G when I was searching for info.
    When you mentioned 'cheapy copies', would you be able to elaborate or specify any particular brands to avoid? I'm happy for you to PM me if you'd rather not do it on the open forum.
    Thanks again,
    Steve
    There are brands sold at the major stores that cost around $90 or a little more, these would be the cheap copies, stick with Lockwood or Gainsborough if you want it to last, after all it is a security device for the door.
    There seems to be a problem with the template on the cheapest one if you look online, this is a major oversight by the manufacturer.

Once you drill the holes according to the template, if it's wrong then the lock can't be installed, and the door is stuffed.
    You shouldn't need to check the template out of the box is correct, after all it came with the lock.

If you look online, there are pictures of the cheapy ones with the wrong templates, some pics show how crap the mechanism is they utilise, probably cost 50c to manufacture it.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

G'day everyone.
    Thank you to everyone that contributed their thoughts and experiences. I ended up going for a 'whole house' spruce up and I decided to use the Gainsborough and Austral gear, which will all be keyed alike.
    Thanks again all,
    Steve