Hire the best Door Expert

Framing for large double glazed panel

Default Framing for large double glazed panel

Just curious about how one would prepare the window opening for a large double glazed glass panel around 2.5 x 1.5m. My house is a 1960's brick veneer and there are large sliding aluminium windows which don't close properly and have gaps everywhere. The framing was likely built with green timber, as they did back then, and this has warped over time. My thought is to rip them out and fit large double glazed panels as I don't require them to open anyway. Also wanting a single panel for the view and the thermal / noise benefits. Besides squaring up the existing window framing, is there anything else to consider? What sort of aluminium framing does one use to sit the panel into? Will the glass crack if there is movement in the house? A normal window has a frame and there is some wiggle room around the wall framing, but with a panel there is no room for error I would think. Any advice on converting from old sliding windows to a single panel insert? Cheers.

It's not a simple matter of removing the old sliding window, placing a bit of aluminium then a double glazed panel in place, it doesn't work like that.
    Do it that way and you will guarantee water ingress and most likely broken glass.

Just go to a window manufacturer, they will manufacture you what you're after in an appropriate aluminium frame that has inbuilt water stops, rubber seals, flashings etc.
    Remove the old window and install the new one, sealing as required to ensure a draught proof result.

Bear in mind it won't be cheap, if you are on a budget then go for single pane.

https://www.alwindows.com.au/blog/wh...gy-efficiency/
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

4K Club Member

You could make a frame with reveals etc as per a normal window and then frame up around that, which is what we have done with one "window" although it was my carpenter mate who did the actual making and fitting. Reveals were 170*25mm hardwood and the insets were 19*25 with quad and silicon to hold the panel in place
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

I went to a window manufacturer and got a ridiculous quote of $20k, where as the panels are around $110 sqm. If the window framing is square couldn't one just make a timber surround and an angled sill then sit the panel into this with silicone all around? I made a small timber window once to fit into a hole where an air conditioner was removed. It was so cheap and easy to make, cost about $70 with timber and laminated glass. The window installer wanted $1200. Not sure what it is with window guys, their prices are too high for my limited budget.

I was thinking along those lines, do you have photos of the framing?

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by howmanyru View Post
    I was thinking along those lines, do you have photos of the framing?
    No. My mate did the work in his shed but it is really quite a simple job if you can join timber securely and strongly at right angles.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Default Framing for large double glazed panel

Agree with what Metrix said, but what you are planning is possible. I’ve done similar on a gable window. Framed with H3 pine with a routed rebate. Waterproof glue and screw corners and prime the rebates. Braced the corners with ply triangles. Dropped them at the glazier who organised 6mm toughened glass and siliconed in with temporary beading blocks. Wasn’t more than a few hundred bucks.

I did the beading and painted it up. Installed with flashing and under a 1200mm eave. No problems ten years later. The photo shows the two large gable windows. Gives a great view of the Jacaranda in the backyard and heaps of light.

Read what Matrix wrote, you should remove all the old aluminium window, no point going to that much trouble if all you achieve is sound still coming in through the old aluminium frames and gaps from the original install.

Had a quote from a glass manufacturer of $2k installed for a double glazed panel. So I still need to remove the old window, square up the framing then build in a suitable timber surround to hold the glass panel. Not certain yet what has made the frame out of square, not likely to be foundations as all brickwork is perfect. I'll get a quote from a carpenter as it's a bit beyond my experience level to tackle such a job. Hopefully it's a days work so not too expensive.