Hire the best Door Expert

Hang the door (and the builder too!) (pics)

Default Hang the door (and the builder too!) (pics)

I need some advice please.

Unit Door

The closing-edge of the door to my Unit tapers and has a gap at the bottom (5cms?) (see photo of white door). It may be that the Body Corporate will replace the door but could a builder build up the gap with artificial wood (glue) or something? The Body Corporate might pay for that.

House Gate

I want to replace the slats in my gate (see photo) with more posh palings but how can I marry up the existing holes in the frame to the holes I'll need to make in the new palings? Will I need to measure things? The solution might present when I embark on the job. I guess I could stuff a wet painted wick in the existing holes and press the paling against it?

Thank you very much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gate-door-pics-004.jpg   gate-door-pics-001.jpg  

Default Unit door

Yes it is possible to reduce the gap at the bottom of the door. I have done this twice. It can be done by removing the door and then attaching with screws or nails a suitable size piece of timber. Make sure fasteners are countersunk so you can remove material if required. The other method (not my preference) is to obtain a suitable size piece of timber and then glue it to the bottom of the door using a heap of packers to hold it there until the adhesive sets.

The Body Corporate may or may not pay for it, but from experience probably not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Neri View Post
    I need some advice please.

Unit Door

The closing-edge of the door to my Unit tapers and has a gap at the bottom (5cms?) (see photo of white door). It may be that the Body Corporate will replace the door but could a builder build up the gap with artificial wood (glue) or something? The Body Corporate might pay for that.

House Gate

I want to replace the slats in my gate (see photo) with more posh palings but how can I marry up the existing holes in the frame to the holes I'll need to make in the new palings? Will I need to measure things? The solution might present when I embark on the job. I guess I could stuff a wet painted wick in the existing holes and press the paling against it?

Thank you very much
    Hi Neri,

Is the front door hollow or solid - since it has a deadlock on it - it should be solid. A plain solid door like that one are around $80 bucks and take about half an hour to fit. So to fit a new door and utilise all of your extant fittings, along with a simple plain to size shouldnt cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Possible easier to do that than mess around with add ons etc considering it will cost money to have someone fit bits and pieces to the door.

If the door is hollow then even cheaper as you can pick them up for $30. Total cost to fit $100.

Anyway something to think about.

1K Club Member

If your in a unit block, it is most likely a fire rated door. Which needs to be installed correctly to comply

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cherub65 View Post
    If your in a unit block, it is most likely a fire rated door. Which needs to be installed correctly to comply
    Thats a good point - the fire rating is what i would take up with the body corporate and they should fix it to comply

Good pickup cherub

Old Chippy 6K

If it really has a 50mm gap at the bottom then it ain't gunna be fire-rated! The simple answer here might be to simple install a seal on the outside like one of these: RP3 - http://www.raven.com.au/domino/raven...e=door%20seals

As to the gate - you will have to measure the new palings of course, but aligning the holes should be a matter of holding or clamping the new palings in place and marking through form the back if teh holes go all the way through. If not you will have to measure and mark the positions to drill.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Default My door and gate

Good stuff. Thanks gents.

Door

Yes it's a fire door.

Gate

No the holes in the frame don't go straight through.

I think I've solved the problem. Lay the old paling on top of the new and drill through the holes in the old paling to make a mark on the new and when I complete the hole in the new paling it should align with the hole in the frame.

3K Club Member

Your gate solution sounds fine. Just to add, before you remove the old palings, scribe a mark on the frame where each paling was so you can accurately position the new palings. You'll probably see marks on the frame anyway but best to be sure.

Thanks Shauck. Yep, I'll do that.