Hire the best Door Expert

Help repairing a wooden stand

Apprentice (new member)

Default Help repairing a wooden stand

Hi Guys,

I have came across this forum after a long time researching for an answer, I actually liked most of the posts and their answers, hence decided posting my own question which I have been trying to fix for weeks now, to no avail..

One of the cabinet doors of my fish tank is severely damaged from water and hence needs to be restores and painted.

Most of the damage is at the bottom where the wood had puffed up and due to this the wood around on of the hinges screw in has broken off, and the bottom of the door cracked open leaving a medium size gap in between the wood. furthermore the door does not close properly anymore due to the water damage...

This is only on one side of the tank though, what can I do to restore and repair the damaged parts, and what material to be used, and where can I find it in Sydney?

Your help is much appreciated.

TIA

If your cabinet is anything like the ones I had, they are made from MDF. Once MDF gets wet and puffs up, there is really no way to repair it; you will need to replace the door. You can buy MDF panels in various sizes and from Bunnings and most other hardware stores but you will probably need a custom size. Unless you have access to a circular saw, I recommend getting the MDF from a shop that cuts to size - try Google for a nearby location. Cutting MDF with a jigsaw or a hand saw will give you a rough edge that will look terrible.

Once you have the new door cut to size, you will need to sand it lightly, seal the cut edges with an undercoat and then spray paint it with a matching colour. Then its just a matter of attaching the hinges and your fish will have a smart looking home again.

Apprentice (new member)

Thx mate for the reply, much appreciated.

Is it possible to attempt the repair as it is not that severe, an only the bottom is puffed up?

Thx

It doesn't hurt to try, but MDF is made of fine compressed wood fibres and once the smooth outer skin has softened and swollen, it loses all it's strength an will never have a flat & smooth surface again. MDF is really cheap (that's why its used so much), so replacing the whole panel shouldn't be too pricey as the custom cutting would be really quick and easy.

I just had another idea that might be easier for you: if just the bottom is waterlogged, you could disguise it with a piece of solid wood trim. Bunnings has a huge range of wood mouldings in different patterns and widths. You could buy something that is wider than the damaged section, cut a piece for BOTH doors and glue it on, then paint it. You would have to smooth down the puffed section level with the rest of the door but it would not have to be neat as its being covered by the trim wood. You can buy a small tube of glue to attach the wood; 5 minute epoxy would be good in this situation.

The solid wood trim might end up costing more than the MDF (seriously, its the wood equivalent of cardboard!) but it requires only a hand saw, sandpaper, glue and some matching paint. You could even use a contrasting paint colour and say you added racing stripes so the fish swim faster!