Hire the best Door Expert

low cost fix for insulating old double hung windows

Default low cost fix for insulating old double hung windows

Hi everyone,

I am living in an old house (early 1900s) located on a busy road. The windows do not seal from cold and noise very well (they themselves rattle). The windows have gaps between the frame and the window pane letting in the cold. I am not looking for a solution for excellent noise insulation (as in the other thread http://www.renovateforum.com/f84/ins...s-noise-95579/). I am seeking something low cost (maybe <$200) to apply to this window. Is there something I can do with the windows without damaging them? I am based in Sydney.

Thanks

PS To give you an idea of my abilities I used blue tac for stopping the rattle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails house_front.png  

Golden Member

Hi, do you have the skills and tools to remove the beading around the inside of the window? Usually there is a vertical strip of wood that holds the window in place and allows it to move up & down. This may have shrunk over the years & needs to be removed and replaced closer to the sliding part of the window. Have a close look at at the frame to find this strip, it may be painted & look like part of the frame. With a sharp stanley knife cut the paint away between frame & strip of wood. Starting in the middle of the longest length, tap a wide blade scraper or chisel between the strip & gradually ease it away from the frame. As nails pop out remove them with pliers or claw hammer. The idea is to replace them closer to the sliding part of the window. You can rub a wax candle or a bar of soap between the sliding window & the frame to ease the movement of the sliding window.
    Remove opposite strip.

Hi gpkennedy,

what an excellent idea! luckily I can manage this task with the instructions you provided for the inside window. Nice tip on the candle wax or soap. Thats a gem

The top window however, does not have the same kind of strip of wood from the exterior. This has significant gap as well (see pic). A neighbour handed me "window and door weather strip" which is some kind of adhesive soft rubber for 2-4mm gaps. I'll try it out when I can.

thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p4300154.jpg  

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by lordmule View Post
    Hi gpkennedy,

what an excellent idea! luckily I can manage this task with the instructions you provided for the inside window. Nice tip on the candle wax or soap. Thats a gem

The top window however, does not have the same kind of strip of wood from the exterior. This has significant gap as well (see pic). A neighbour handed me "window and door weather strip" which is some kind of adhesive soft rubber for 2-4mm gaps. I'll try it out when I can.

thank you!
    Or you could be really modern and use silicon spray lubricant, but that is not good if you plan to paint - soap & wax can be washed off. The plastic rubber or foam weather strip is the go for windows that open and close against a frame, but is not suitable for windows that slide - for that you need brush seals. That too is available in self adhesive rolls and can be found in the same area in HW stores.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Golden Member

Bloss is correct, the rubber strip will make it very difficult to open the window, the brush seal would be easier. The exterior gap may fixed with brush seal. It MAY be possible to reduce this gap by applying pressure with a series of G-Clamps. The whole window looks very delapidated.
    http://i02.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/341/8...-web15_301.jpg
    This is a link to what brush seal looks like, buy a suitable nape depth.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    for windows that slide - for that you need brush seals.
    I had small gaps and was considering a teflon adhesive strip to try out. Most supply of it on the net seemed to be in america though when I last looked so haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Just a thought, there may be something hideously wrong with fixing teflon

Cheers,
    Garth