Hire the best Door Expert

MDF Door Jamb swelled with water damage - how to fix?

Golden Member

Default MDF Door Jamb swelled with water damage - how to fix?

I'm demolishing the ensuite shower as the waterproofing failed...finished the main bathroom earlier in the year.

The toilet door has been unable to close due to the leaking shower water seeping under the tiles and the MDF soaking it up like blotting paper.

I'm doing the demo to see where and why it failed. Builders are coming to inspect and start the repairs in 2 weeks under warranty.

I'm unsure what are my options to "correctly" fix this (MDF Door Jamb - never done one or seen one with this issue fixed).

1. I'm thinking given its MDF not much can be done without it looking ugly and therefore the entire door jamb needs to be replaced
    2. or can the damaged potion simply be cut out and replaced?
    3. or is there another option?

bathroom-door1.jpg bathroom-door.jpg

1K Club Member

If this is a warranty job why are you doing the demo? And if it is warranty isn't the associated damage also covered? Who did the waterproofing and the ensuite work?
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2K Club Member

why is mdf used around wet areas? ive never worked this out. they always @@@ up after a bit of time from steam, moisture etc..

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    If this is a warranty job why are you doing the demo? And if it is warranty isn't the associated damage also covered? Who did the waterproofing and the ensuite work?

Long Storey Whitey.

in Oct The short(er) version is It took 9 months btwn March to Nov 2021 for them to agree to fix both showers only after I published a review on "Product Review" would they finally ring to talk to me over the phone instead of emails and constantly refusing to ring me. Had it sorted and agreed to in 30min after that first call!!!

They were speaking so much BS trying to fob me off, I opened up the walls with pictures to prove the shower had failed and then promptly demolished myself to see where and why it failed in Sep/Oct 2021. Talked to a local waterproofing expert, waterproofing companies and downloaded the standards to identify the BS I was being fed and have the knowledge to challenge them on it before they ended up taking responsibility to fix it.

Why do the demo myself? - Had several rework negative experiences with this mob in the past during the build causing significant further issues. Even during the fix of the main bathroom, they were trying to shortcut/half fix solutions before they decided to send quality trades that done great job. And so, I'm also doing the demo for the ensuite as I did in the main of which they have agreed to....putting it down as a positive learning experience where I actually know more than "these" builders on shower waterproofing requirements and enjoying the process to fix it all up.

The original Waterproofer they used during the build has gone out of business with large numbers of shower failures and not at all surprising as the job didnt come close to meeting the standards. My guess is the contributing issue is the "screwing down" of what they wanted to pay the subby resulting with the many shortcuts made. Based on feedback from the guy that replaced the side vanity panel. He quoted a price on another job, they said 50%, he walked away only to be rung up again 9 months later to do the job at his quoted rate after the mob they used at peanut rates failed.

The new mob they use for waterproofing, uses "Gripset" an Australian brand and made product. Watching them doing the waterproofing proves they know what they are doing with the end job over and above the standard requirements of AS3740. I ended up getting them to double waterproofing - liquid membrane and flex bandage on the right angels under and on top of the screed.

So anyway, any direction on how to fix this issue would be much appreciated.

They are MDF, rip the entire MDF frame out and start again. This time with real timber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post

So anyway, any direction on how to fix this issue would be much appreciated.
    You can't really fix them, once MDF has swelled up it's stuffed.
    Rip them out and replace with either pine or meranti, seal the bottoms, and make sure they are not buried in the screed / tiles.

This was a common way it was done in the past because the chippy was finished before the tilers started (project homes pretty much done like this).

Best way is to put the timbers on top of the tiles, after they are grouted.

Leave the jamb's off the floor about 2mm, and fill the gap with a paintable sealant
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Golden Member

Tkx Metrix, Droog.......great advice, replacement it is