Hire the best Door Expert

Options for a sliding wall (big sliding door)

7K Club Member

Default Options for a sliding wall (big sliding door)

Hi all,

I have a need for a wall that slides away. I guess it's really a very large sliding door. The opening is 3.5m wide and 2.5m high.

The timber framed floor is not perfectly level so the the wall/door needs to be supported by/hung from an LVL already installed over the opening during recent renovations and along the original stud wall that runs in line with the opening.

So...

1. I am looking for a track sliding system that I can hang the wall/door from. It would need to be about 7m long in total.

2 . I'm also looking for the best option for the door/wall itself. I would like it to be 'solid' (rather than, say, 'paper' such as a shoji screen). But being solid I don't want it to be overly heavy, so something akin to a very large hollow internal door would be about right.

See diagram attached. All ideas and advice gratefully received
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sliding-wall.jpg  

I got the name of this company from a luxury display home in Adelaide which I was snooping around last week.... they had a a sliding wall panel (top hung) to close of the the home theatre room..so not sure of the price but have a look at the website.

Window and Door Systems, Bifold Systems - Centor Architectural Australia

7K Club Member

Thanks Jago. That's certainly on the right track. I've written away to get some price guides.

Hey.
    Thought this might be of use...
    I have installed a number of oversize doors in the past.
    Unfortunately the name of the hardware mob slips my mind at the moment...
    However, with the doors, they are styro core doors as hollow cores that size can warp a lot, and true solids are way too heavy.
    They vary in price from supplier to supplier a lot...
    The last door i did was 1500 wide, 2070 high so not too large.
    at the time. The prices for it varied a lot. Lifetime industries, who i have used a bit were $700, annandale timber were 800 inc. APS alum partition systems were 517 inc.
    The size you mention, 3500 x 2500 is very large. Can it be split onto 2 or 3 tracks like the glass sliders on the site that jago gave you? If you go too large it would have to have join seams on the faces as the size is larger than sheet stock. Overly large would probably not be warrantied, (a lot of oversize doors arent anyway)
    Anyway, the weight should be okay, the last set of hardware I used was comfortable up to 250kg and a door that size if split into 2 or 3 tracks would spread the load a fair bit.
    It would probably be ok to even do as a single panel except for the handling / freight problems
    Let me know if you want me to get a quote for a door at a specific size / thickness.
    cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by multiblade View Post
    Hey.
    Thought this might be of use...
    I have installed a number of oversize doors in the past.
    Unfortunately the name of the hardware mob slips my mind at the moment...
    However, with the doors, they are styro core doors as hollow cores that size can warp a lot, and true solids are way too heavy.
    They vary in price from supplier to supplier a lot...
    The last door i did was 1500 wide, 2070 high so not too large.
    at the time. The prices for it varied a lot. Lifetime industries, who i have used a bit were $700, annandale timber were 800 inc. APS alum partition systems were 517 inc.
    The size you mention, 3500 x 2500 is very large. Can it be split? Also at a guess, i would need to check if they will make that size, even if they do, i would guess it would have to have join seams on the faces as the size is larger than sheet stock. That size would probably not be warrantied, (a lot of oversize doors arent anyway)
    Anyway, the weight should be okay, the last set of hardware I used was comfortable up to 250kg and a door that size would spread the load a fair bit.
    Let me know if you want me to get a quote for a door at a specific size / thickness.
    cheers
    Mike
    Multiblade have a look at this mob their system is rated for 600kgs the wall door I saw in Adelaide was about 2700 high with a width of at least 2400.

1K Club Member

While living in Sydney I saw a number of walls that were glass and which opened fully. Basically there were a series of rectangles of glass, pivoted from the centre in each case. You could open one, several of the whole wall. Once pivotted, the panel of glass could be shifted to the side, on tracks top and bottom. They did tend to create a bit of a stack at the side, but if well-designed looked fabulous. Since they were well outside my price range (then or ever) I did not look into them further. But if you can get your hands on the hardware, they should not be too difficult to emulate in timber or plywood ...

Thanks Jago.
    The styro panels on heavy duty sliders is certainly? probably? the cheapest option.
    Tracks plus rollers plus panels. Just a thought, most of the ones i have done were cavity sliders which were a bit fiddlier.
    fiddlier? is that a word?
    im kind of surprised i didnt just post really wierder than usual replies. i've had a few wines and one of the cats likes to sleep on the notebook keyboard, but only when its on and warm and left open
    Between the two of us we can almost type a sentence.

7K Club Member

Good advice re the styro doors and other hollow doors warping etc. Thanks!

Multiblade, if you have some brands of styro-core doors/panels you've used that would be great.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

at the start of th year we did a door that was 2.7 high and 3.6mts long, i will try and find a photo.

we used a top track from Brio (was called henderson) the track was around $500 incld fittings.

you can get tracks that cost up to a few grand for this size door.

the door it self was 50mm thick built up with 2 sheets of 16mm veneered particleboard with a soild timber top / bottom rail that ran the length of the doors, the panels had a
    "v" grove between each of them.

it took 6 guys to hang the door, we made it in the factory and brought it to site in sections and clamped and glued it together.

i had the top mount brakcets modified so that we could screw through the side of the top rail not just down from the top.

7K Club Member

Thanks Gaza. I'm hoping for something lighter than a 6 guy lift. Some pics would be appreciated

Back to one of Multiblade's questions, the door can indeed be split, and thinking about it more I would probably plan to have a convenient standard door size panel able to slide independently to the main panel. Just so we don't have to move the whole panel every time we want access...

Thanks for the help so far. Keep 'em coming folks!

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

the biggest width door you could make with out a joint in the face would be 1800mm.

i would make a frame of the door and skin it with 9mm MDF,

you can buy a 1800x3600 sheet of MDF to use as a door skin.

glueing up the door you will need to press it / clamp or put heavy weight on it.

Sharps do nice veneered boards Plywood, X-Board Plus, Timber Veneer, MDF, Particleboard: Home have a butchers ...

7K Club Member

Thanks jago. I was clicking around the Sharps site and came across this. Take a look at the colour choices on page 4. Bloody teasers!

http://www.sharpplywood.com.au/rs/7/...File/nycel.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Thanks jago. I was clicking around the Sharps site and came across this. Take a look at the colour choices on page 4. Bloody teasers!

http://www.sharpplywood.com.au/rs/7/...File/nycel.pdf

Thats no bloomin good.... give them a bell or email I have just recieved my samples of veneers for a some large bedroom panels, wow...

sales@sharpplywood.com.au