Hire the best Door Expert

PVC covered wooden window repair

Apprentice (new member)

Post PVC covered wooden window repair

Hi.
    I'm a wood restorator, I work with Abatron epoxy products. I mainly repair wood rot damage. This lady calls me today to schedule an estimation of a restoration on her home.

Two window sets. The first set has 4 windows, including 2 hinged casement windows and 2 fixed windows. The second set has 2 windows, 1 hinged and 1 fixed. The windows themselves and the window frames are made of wood, but covered with PVC.

The damaged part of these windows are mainly the sills, the bottom rails and the bottom of the stiles. Water came through the caulking and damaged the wood underneath the PVC. So I need to remove the PVC shell and repair the wood, then put that shell back on.

My questions are...

Is it possible to remove this PVC shell? If so, is it possible to reuse it after? If not, is it possible to buy new, identical one?

How do we remove a hinged window? The one with the opening mechanism. And how to put it back on?

How do we remove a fixed window? How to we put it back on?

Thank you very much for your help.
    And just to know, how much would it cost to entirely change those 6 windows? Total price..

Although never having seen a PVC/wood window (they are not all that common here in Australia, for reasons only known to window places), I would guess that by the time you have taken the window apart, replaced the timber, and glued/welded/silastic-ed it all back together, you'd be close to, if not exceeding, the price of a new window anyway - unless it is ludicrously easy to remove the timber (which I somehow doubt will be the case).

About the only way I could think of doing a 'repair' without taking the window and reveal out of the wall and spending way too much time playing around with the PVC shell would be drilling a series of holes into the areas where the wood has rotted, injecting them with a good thin epoxy to stabilise the timber, then filling any missing patches of timber with either thickened epoxy or expanding foam.

You might be able to cut a section of the PVC off with either a sharp stanley knife or a nice thin kerf japanese pull saw, fix the wood underneath, and then slip the PVC back on and superglue/epoxy back to some sembalnace of good...but again the time taken to do this may not stack up against the replacement cost.
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Apprentice (new member)

Thank you. I think I'm going to take part of the PVC off the windows, and fix the underlying wood.

How do we remove a casement hinge window and a fixed window??

Apprentice (new member)

I don't want to replace the timber, I will only treat it with Abatron LiquidWood and WoodEpox.

Quote Originally Posted by ludydoo View Post
    How do we remove a casement hinge window and a fixed window??
    They are generally a 'no user serviceable parts' design - aside from expected repairs like glass replacement, you will probably find that to go any further, you'll need to:

Remove the architraves from the window
    Hacksaw through the nails that go through the sill and hold the window to the wall studs
    Oh-so-gently pop the window out of the wall
    Dismantle the window assembly (typically the assembly includes the window itself, as well as the sill around it - there's usually a fin that the sill gets stapled onto.)

Note that this refers to Australian building practice; your windows may be installed differently, so it's probably wise to visit the web sites of some local window manufacturers and have a look at their installation instructions.
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)