Hire the best Door Expert and save up to 40%

Relocate window in weatherboard house

Apprentice (new member)

Default Relocate window in weatherboard house

I have an older Edwardian weatherboard house. I'm looking to relocate a window from east side of the house to the north to capture more sun light. Is this a job for a carpenter? Can someone recommend a good carpenter in Melbourne eastern suburbs?

Thanks

4K Club Member

You may have a better chance of an answer if you add pictures and a plan of the existing house and the proposed change
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Novice

Default Relocate window in weatherboard house

Yes it is a job for a carpenter, but rather than relocate why not buy a new window? Unless you want to remove the window from the east side for another reason. I have used woodworkers in Brisbane to manufacture windows for our heritage houses. I always favour reusing materials but never reused entire windows.

I cannot help with a recommendation for a carpenter but you will find most if not all carpenters would be cautious about removing and old window for reuse. The risk of damaging the window will be a concern.

Tap

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestmount View Post
    Yes it is a job for a carpenter, but rather than relocate why not buy a new window? Unless you want to remove the window from the east side for another reason. I have used woodworkers in Brisbane to manufacture windows for our heritage houses. I always favour reusing materials but never reused entire windows.

I cannot help with a recommendation for a carpenter but you will find most if not all carpenters would be cautious about removing and old window for reuse. The risk of damaging the window will be a concern.

For older houses keeping period style fittings is often high on the priority list.
    I have removed and re-installed many double hung sash windows, the risk of damage is directly proportional to the skill and care of the person performing the work, I have never damaged a window in the removal or replacement, and have only broken a handful of glass panels in the restoration process of them.
    The carpenters in out latest renovation were more than happy to remove / replace / re-use the old timber double hung sash windows, no damage to any of the seven involved.

To the OP: Find a good carpenter for the job, removal and replacement in a weatherboard house is a very easy task.

Apprentice (new member)

The period windows are the double sash variety, which look great but the windows are quite leaky (air and heat wise). I'm not actually looking to reuse the windows, but instead replace with double glazed along with a few other windows around the house. I need to open new hole, and board up the exist window.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy38 View Post
    The period windows are the double sash variety, which look great but the windows are quite leaky (air and heat wise). I'm not actually looking to reuse the windows, but instead replace with double glazed along with a few other windows around the house. I need to open new hole, and board up the exist window.
    OK different story, no relocation involved.
    Install new window, remove and make good old window.

Still a job for a carpenter although finishing of where the old window is may require additional trades eg plasterer, painter etc.