Hire the best Door Expert

Spray Painting Skirts and Door Jambs

Apprentice (new member)

Default Spray Painting Skirts and Door Jambs

All,

New to the forum. Looks like a great place to learn and share information.

I am about 80% of the way through my renovations with the last of the floor boards going in this weekend. I am getting to the painting stage and I'd like some advice on best ways to paint my skirts and architraves.

I was planning to spray paint the skirts and then just zap them on with the NG once complete however I do not know what consistency of paint to use, what spray gun to buy etc..

Does anyone know when I would get this information and advice from?

Thank you in advance!

J

Tool Whore - 1K Club Member Vernonv's Avatar

Welcome hintonj,
    To he honest I wouldn't bother spray painting the skirting. It's easier and probably just as quick to brush the paint on (especially as you are painting them before installation). With spraying you normally need more coats than you do with brushing. You also have to watch for overspray - you don't want to end up with a paint stripe down your car or anything.

If you do decide to spray just use a cheap HVLP spray gun. You will normally need to thin the paint when spraying - maybe look on the tin for thinning instructions (and experiment a little).
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Then once you have painted them you have to touch up nail holes, patch paint and deal with the gaps between the skirting and wall etc.

Believe me it wont matter much once the missus whacks them with the vacuum cleaner or broom.
    Jack

Apprentice (new member)

Hey Vernonv
    Interesting house you must have
    you suggest he might get a speed stipe down his car when spraying skirtings inside his house

Tool Whore - 1K Club Member Vernonv's Avatar

Well the way I read it, he is spraying the skirting before fixing it. So he is unlikely to do it inside the house. I would assume he would do it undercover ... maybe somewhere near where he would park his car.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Apprentice (new member)

i painted most of my skirt and arc before a chippy mate put it up, i then had to fill and sand the nail holes and repaint (two coats). Now repainting was easy since i didnt have to worry about the side of the arc which met the plaster because that was already ok, the finish is perfect because the walls where painted prior as was the skirt/arc so each is its exact colour with perfect lines but it took way to long all up and painting a few 100m of skirt/arc when its lose is a @@@@ job.

The master room is a different colour so this time round i painted the bit of the skirt or arc that was sittin on the wall and left the bulk of it to paint once its up and secured, i figure i have to fill and sand most of the face/front anyway but i still get my perfect lines.

Dulux aquaenamal i think it was? i found to be over priced and crap to use, showed up brush strokes allot, didnt go on smooth, didnt really level out, was bloody pricey, where as getting a proper oil based gloss (again dulux) in the other colour for the second lot of skirt and arc was best thing i did the colour gloss is far more noticable, it was smooth to put on, kinda leveled out and didnt show brush strokes.

Another point that may have made my job @@@@ is we have an old house and while best efforts where made to straighten walls/door frames you can only get it so far so it took a few extra nails sometimes to get the skirt sitting flush on the plaster and the jamb side.

Owner Builder

Is it possible to glue skirting boards on rather than nailing? That would prevent having to fill the nail holes... has anybody got experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by zacnelson View Post
    Is it possible to glue skirting boards on rather than nailing? That would prevent having to fill the nail holes... has anybody got experience with this?
    I've done it but ended up needing screws as well because the walls aren't straight. But painting first is definitely the way to go. You only have to patch a small hole and it's on a flat surface.

In fact, it might even be easier to pull off the old skirting and replace (if you've just got standard 65mm bullnose skirting it is only $3 a metre in MDF IIRC). Or you could remove it, fill, sand, repaint & replace.