Hire the best Door Expert

Suggestions on best way to fix skirting to Gyprock covered brick wall

Apprentice (new member)

Default Suggestions on best way to fix skirting to Gyprock covered brick wall

In renovating my lounge dining area we covered exposed brick walls with Gyprock sheets. We have now had a floating floor put in and the finishing touch is the skirting. I am seeking advice on the best way to fix the skirtings to the walls. As I see it nails are an option but my concern is getting them into the brick, Hilti type nails are another option but they require drilling and filling and my preference of liquid nails with some planks and weight to hold in place while it cures. I do not own a nail gun so I am seeking advice on best method with hand tools given the layer of brick under the Gyprock. Thanks.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

liquid nails and fix out gun nails at angle into gyproc to hold till glue dries

Rotary hammer, 5.5mm spaghetti, 50 or 60mm screw, fill hole, paint cheers
    Lashings will continue until morale improves.

Default Suggestions on best way to fix skirting to Gyprock covered brick wall

+1 for the screw, fill and paint.
    There's nothing wrong with going nuts with some liquid nails too though. I'd the glue with the contact method, putting it on then removing it to allow it to tack off, then screw it in. I think you can get away with less screws and a few crossed over nails.
    But the screws are essential.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

7K Club Member

I've done it with only glue (contact method described) with good results. Less time filling and sanding the better

I had solid brick walls and had to attach skirting. Just used liquid nails in big dollops every 300mm and then used heavy tins of paint and bricks wrapped in cloth to protect the skirting as it was painted. Just finished off with no more gaps and did the final coat of paint. Make sure you paint over the no more gaps as it holds dirt and dust and goes grey.

Apprentice (new member)

Default Nailing skirting to block

if you want to nail skirting to block or brick walls, gyprocked or whitesetted walls. the quickest and easiest way and most professional is to use the right tools and fasteners ... i use hardened finish nails... they are a 20mm T nail, perfect for the job... alls you need is the right nail gun IE>> Bostitch SB-HC50FN Concrete Block Nailer OR Airco TTS1650 STT50 (2) Hard Steel Brad Nailer,... works perfectly will hold forever ... i wouldnt rely on using just glue ie liquid nails, as who know how long that stuff will last and hold on for.. probably good for 10 yrs but thats it..

Cheers, Lachlan