Hire the best Door Expert

Timber window company recommendations Melbourne

Led

Default Timber window company recommendations Melbourne

Hi all, does anybody have any good reports for timber window companies in Melbourne? I've used Stegbar
    for balcony doors before but as this is timber I thought there might be more options?
    We need a decent sized corner unit replaced. It is actually 2 x 3 panel frames that meet against a boxed in vertical
    beam. The beam boxing would need replacing as part of the job. Im after frame and glazing as the job lot.
    Thanks for any suggestions. The property is bayside near Mentone.
    Cheers.

Apprentice (new member)

I cannot give you a recommendation quite yet as I'm getting my wooden windows delivered next week.

I chose Binq, really good customer service and options for glazing and stain/poly coats were great. They rebate the windows for a rubber seal which is good. All windows are custom sized so go crazy. Ive gone double glazed and for an extra $14 one of the glass panes is 6.38mm sandwich laminate. Went to their shop down Chelsea Heights way to pick the stains and accessories...

I talked to Payne Timber Products who make old school timber windows. Didn't get a great feel from them.

I also tried Stegbar, completely overpriced and bugger all options - std sizes only, glass, cedar only. The windows I'm getting are a lot cheaper than Stegbar and made with Vic Ash hardwood.

Golden Member

If you guys both report back on what your experiences/recommendations are that would be great as we need to do the same in the next couple of months. As far as ball park prices go i found the following 2 sites great for price listing:

Leading Hardwood Manufacturer of Timber Windows - Craftsman built solid timber windows and doorsLeading Hardwood Manufacturer of Timber Windows (Melb - dont know if they do custom though)

http://www.woodworkers.com.au/ (online prices and downloadable PDF prices for windows, doors, etc)

Apprentice (new member)

Ok, I received both sets of windows.

The Miglas wood inside/alu outside composite window is awesome. Beatifully made and winder features top notch, it is what I expected for a window I forked thousands out for. It is the show stopper window in the bathroom.

Tha Binq windows are great, but, they stuffed up the coatings I requested (completely different colour to what I requested) and I will see how they remedy the situation. Proof in the pudding will be if they take them back with little fuss and rectify them - so far communications have been ok, fingers crossed they don't do a dodgy and refuse to fix

Novice

Default Mark Walter

Hi there,

Try Mark Walter from All Round Window restoration.
    Window repair Melbourne - All Round Window Restorations

I had heaps of windows refurbished in my unit (cedar timber frames) and some custom shaped glass.
    And it came up amazing!!!!!! seriously good work and well priced.

Mark is located in Boronia but travels all over Melbourne.

*** highly recommended ***

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by mookschank View Post
    Ok, I received both sets of windows.

The Miglas wood inside/alu outside composite window is awesome. Beatifully made and winder features top notch, it is what I expected for a window I forked thousands out for. It is the show stopper window in the bathroom.

Tha Binq windows are great, but, they stuffed up the coatings

Keen to seen photos of both (especially the Miglas) if you have them. And would greatly appreciate if you can report back here how you got on with Binq fixing the coatings as I'm considering using them as well.

Cheers!

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChocDog View Post
    Keen to seen photos of both (especially the Miglas) if you have them. And would greatly appreciate if you can report back here how you got on with Binq fixing the coatings as I'm considering using them as well.

Cheers!
    Hey Mookschank, any update with this? How'd you get on with Binq and are you happy with the windows? I got a quote from them the other day and it seems reasonably sharp so might put them on the short list.

Hinterland Colonial Windows sell original colonial windows and doors in qld

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by ChocDog View Post
    Hey Mookschank, any update with this? How'd you get on with Binq and are you happy with the windows? I got a quote from them the other day and it seems reasonably sharp so might put them on the short list.
    Binq got my windows sorted in the end. They pretty much threw away the wood and started again, they cracked a glass re-installing as this can happen at times and they arranged glazier to come on site and replace as i needed the windows pronto. I'm pretty happy with the windows and the service they provided and the pre glass coating they offer is great, just installed and left them, no need to paint 15 thousand edges...

The Miglas window is a work of art, what can i say, you pay for what you get....

Led

We just finished ours. Used these guys - Window Repair Melbourne | Wood Rot Repairs | Window Restoration
    They pretty much rebuilt one row of 3 x 900 wide that had slanted tops that followed the roof gable. Only kept the head plate at the top and reused our glass so saved there.
    Other side of the corner was same width but all 1250 high, they replaced a casement with a fixed pane and new glass and repaired some rot.. They also added a big hardwood support post at the corner where the two window runs met.
    Did a great job, the guys onsite were tops and cost probably half of what replacement would have been. Windows look like new now.
    Steve and crew are definitely worth a chat to if you are in Melbourne and want to look at the repair route rather than replacing.

Default Timber windows and doors Melbourne

Well a bit silly but you can't continue old threads.

I wanted to tack onto this one ... http://www.renovateforum.com/f84/tim...bourne-112686/

Anyway ...

I just installed new double glazed timber windows from Victorian Ash Windows. They were recommended from on here and I found them great to deal with ... they even delivered ahead of schedule, which is often unusual when ordering most products, let alone hand made.

The quality looks really good and the owner actually drops off the product, which suggests he really believes in it and cares that he is supplying what was requested.

Victorian Ash Windows - Timber Windows - Clayton

Moved

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Moved

Ha ha ... you have the power ... thanks, I think it's a useful one to keep going.