Hire the best Door Expert

What is this window called?

Novice

Default What is this window called?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help identify what the windows which protrude out of weatherboard houses are called. They are often built within a box that has some detail underneath. I have attached a photo illustrating what I mean. Additionally, if anyone has some information on their construction and flashing that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.2008988016_1_fs.jpg

I would call them timber double hung sash windows with sash weights.
    Regards Dave

Novice

Is there a term used to describe that the windows are mounted to protrude past the weatherboards, as opposed to most windows which are mounted flush with the boards? Thanks in advance.

Retired Marine Engineer 1K Club Member Ashore's Avatar

They are casement side hung windows, they would have been built after 1915, they grew from the English Vernacular Revival movement, They were often canterlevered out from the house make a bay window
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

1K Club Member

The ones in the picture are definitely doublehung sashes. The method of mounting is 'proud' of the wall. That is a lovely vernacular California Bungalow you have there, so please do your best to keep them, it will help the place maintain its value!

Agree. Double hung sash for me.

They look like double hung sashes to me.
    TM

Novice

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately the house pictured is not mine, but a house nearby. Our house is of the same style but was 'updated' with plastic cladding, aluminium windows, fake metal roof tiles and the verandah converted into a study. We are planning on restoring our house to its former glory. Does anyone have any diagrams or details on how to mount the windows proud of the wall?

1K Club Member

You might find the heritage office has something (heritage Victoria) but I doubt it. Best idea would be to knock on the door of the other house and ask if you can spend a happy morning measuring, taking profiles and lots of photos. With any luck you will get on so well with the owners, they won't mind when you come back for all the measurements you forgot to take the first time.

Take a pencil and paper to do drawings on which to insert the measurements. And get a profile comb so you have an accurate profile of the connections and detailing.

The ones in the photo are simply set in the wall sufficient that the cover boards or architraves are proud of the weatherboards, the style of window has a thick solid sill which protrudes out even further and then detailed blocks of timber are attached underneath.
    There are some other styles which have a small hood at the top and detail blocks under the hood they are simple to make yourself.
    Then there are bay windows which are built out from the wall.

Regards Dave

Old Chippy 6K

The depth out from the wall is achieved simply by an extended 'reveal' ie: the outermost framing around the window structure. A window unit made up for a brick veneer house and installed flush on the inside of a timber framed house would result in such an appearance - the finishing pieces are then cut in to suit. At that shallow depth it would not normally be called a bay window - which btw can be of any number of types including the double hung or over-hung sash units shown in your sample pic. The 'bay' refers to the extrusion from wall whether angled or square out, not to the window style and because it creates a bay, or extra space in the room.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.