Hire the best Handyman

Construction joint or expansion joint?

Owner Builder

Default Construction joint or expansion joint?

What's the difference between a construction joint and an expansion joint in brickwork? Are they really the same thing? On my house extension plans, it says construction joint where new brick walls butted up to the old brick walls on the original house (brick veneer). But it says expansion joint at typical points in the new walls (every 6m or less). I know expansion joint ties can be put in between the bricks on expansion joints - is there any kind of tie used at a construction joint to join new to old? (I know about putting foam and polyurethane sealant between the bricks in either type of joint).

Thanks

Apprentice (new member)

A construction joint just refers to a joint required for 'construction purposes'. In your situation this is to meet existing brickwork. If the old brickwork wasnt there, a joint wouldnt be needed. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
    A construction joint just refers to a joint required for 'construction purposes'. In your situation this is to meet existing brickwork. If the old brickwork wasnt there, a joint wouldnt be needed. Does that make sense?
    True, a construction joint with ties to keep the bricks aligned, an expansion joint has a gap to be filled with a flexible filler to allow the wall to expand and contract, the ties should be smooth to allow the wall to move

Forgive my ignorance here, but are you guys suggesting that the brick work either side the expansion joint is tied together, ie across the joint, pinning it together but still allowing for movement?