Hire the best Handyman

Construction Manager

Question Construction Manager

Could anyone please tell me the definition of a construction manager at a building firm does? Does this involve the hands on building stuff or is it more the organisation of materials and everything else necessary for building works to get done?

The construction manager sits in an office ordering the building supervisors around via phone, the building supervisors sits in his car and calls up the materials as and when needed and organize the tradies again all by phone.

Its all hands on as you can see....

Question

Do they need to hold a builders license? Or is their knowledge more the paper/phonecall kind?

Quote Originally Posted by StrataStruggler View Post
    Do they need to hold a builders license?
    Usually not, the principal of the company would/should hold it.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by StrataStruggler View Post
    Do they need to hold a builders license? Or is their knowledge more the paper/phonecall kind?

Why do you ask?

I'm guessing by his user name that he's having trouble with one

At my place the CMs come up through the ranks - starting as site engineers managing the trades in one particular discipline/area then up to foreman/leading hand, then up to (a step I can't remember) before getting to be a CM heading a project. So I would say in my instance they aren't necessarily "builders" but they have a lot of experience of managing trades on site and would still have a day-to-day access/awareness of their site.

Old Builder

As per Nomineebuider.... Why do you ask?

Regards to why - have a neighbour who said he was a builder. When pressed on this issue then said he was a construction manager. He does work for a construction company but he seemed surprised when I, with my limited knowledge about anything, questioned him as to whether something complied with building codes. Please note that he wants to build on common property that he does not own! The legacy of it not complying would be left to the current and future owners in this complex. He keeps stating that we should trust his expertise. From the answers I have so far, he should know that there are regulations involved and what they are if he works for a building contractor? Even if he himself does not have a license. Cheers

Old Builder

StrataStruggler, I feel you're covering the same old ground as your previous 'thread':

http://www.renovateforum.com/f211/sl...st-slab-91870/

I thought the advice and commentary given to you by many in that thread was good and I'm somewhat surprised you would start a new/separate thread on this same old subject.

If you follow previous advice offered (engage Council, written body corporate expectations, approved plans etc) your issues have a better chance of being addressed...
    Good luck with it.

4K Club Member

It goes like this, from the bottom up. leading hand, site manager / foreman, project manager, construction manager. This for a large building co $200m + T/O. CM's don't visit sites that often.
    regards inter