Hire the best Handyman

Elastic-sided boots

Default Elastic-sided boots

Hi,

I’d be interested in hearing from other forum members as to what is a good elastic-sided work boot these days.

I tend to wear elastic sided work boots when doing work around my home. Many years ago, I used to buy (Australian made) Blundstones but I heard that their quality took a nosedive when they moved their manufacturing offshore. I then moved to (Australian made) SteelBlue and they have served me very well, but unfortunately, it seems that they too have moved their manufacturing offshore. This seems to be a common theme these days - good manufacturers move their manufacturing offshore and the quality takes a dive! It’s hard to keep up with what’s good in work boots when I only buy a pair every five years or so.

I have been looking online to find out who makes a quality elastic-sided work boot - preferably Australian made if possible. What is your view of Redback and Rossi? Are their any other brands that are worthwhile looking at?

In a nutshell, what’s crap and what’s good in elastic-sided boots?
    There is no middle ground between facts and fallacies - argumentum ad temperantiam

2K Club Member

I have a 10+ year old pair of Redbacks. The elastic is a bit stretched, but they are still going strong. Not sure if they are made in Australia any more though.

Edit: post #17, Taipan - not Redback.
    Last edited by phild01; 2nd Apr 2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Taipan correction.

Community Moderator

If you want to get a shock check the price of RM Williams laughing side boots.

The steelblue's I've found the interior lining disintegrates quickly around the toe/stealcap section. Lucky to last 3 months.

I've got a set of elastic redbacks. At least 6 or more years old and still good even after being saturated in water/mud, used for farmwork etc.
    Another leather set around a year ago with just a zip on side for work since they banned elastic. I did find the sole a bit hard and added an insert.
    The shoe itself has held up well under industrial use. Only maintenance I do is every now and again giving a wipe with a leather waterproofing wax/polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    If you want to get a shock check the price of RM Williams elastic sided boots.
    The scary thing is that I do actually have a pair of them, but there is no way I’d use them as work boots!
    There is no middle ground between facts and fallacies - argumentum ad temperantiam

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    I have a 10+ year old pair of Redbacks. The elastic is a bit stretched, but they are still going strong. Not sure if they are made in Australia any more though.
    It seems that they are still Australian made!

I hope that they don’t go the way of Blundstone, SteelBlue, Oliver...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails daa72b27-3744-4f9e-a30e-029cf9fe218c.jpg  

1K Club Member

Redbacks are still Australian, give them a try.
    I used to get about 8 to 10 years out of them when I was a mechanic.
    The elastic would be slightly stretched when the soles eventually wore out.
    I've also tried Mongrel, Blundstone, T-Boots and Dunlop boots and they were all junk compared to the Redbacks.
    The only thing I had to do was replace the inner soles from new with decent ones, but that could have been fixed by now.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    Redbacks are still Australian, give them a try.
    I used to get about 8 to 10 years out of them when I was a mechanic.
    The elastic would be slightly stretched when the soles eventually wore out.
    I've also tried Mongrel, Blundstone, T-Boots and Dunlop boots and they were all junk compared to the Redbacks.
    The only thing I had to do was replace the inner soles from new with decent ones, but that could have been fixed by now.
    That’s a great recommendation. It sounds like you have tried quite a few brands.

At the moment, from my web searching, I’m tossing up between Redback and Rossi, but in the end it will also come down to what fits my feet best. It’s good to hear the positive experiences that people are having with Redback.

Blundstone or Mongrels.
    Redbacks if your work is standing in one spot are OK. if you walk a lot forget it, you will wear a hole in the heels that are hollow.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Confucius

1K Club Member

I was getting 6 months only with Redbacks, blowing out at the sides. Went back to Blundstones and am now getting 12 months with them.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by plum View Post
    I was getting 6 months only with Redbacks, blowing out at the sides. Went back to Blundstones and am now getting 12 months with them.
    Sounds like Redbacks quality has dropped, either that or you are very hard on boots.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    That’s a great recommendation. It sounds like you have tried quite a few brands.

At the moment, from my web searching, I’m tossing up between Redback and Rossi, but in the end it will also come down to what fits my feet best. It’s good to hear the positive experiences that people are having with Redback.
    One thing about the Redbacks is when you first try them on you feel like you rock on them because the soles are actually curved a fair bit. They flatten out fairly quickly with use though.

I moved away from elastic sided boots a while ago, found the elastic doesen't last long.
    I use the zippered / laces boots now, the zip allows you to take them off in a second, I won't go back to elastic ones they offer no support.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    I use the zippered / laces boots now, the zip allows you to take them off in a second, I won't go back to elastic ones they offer no support.
    Part of my son's job is tying up ships and those type of boots are compulsory.

Part of my son's job is tying up ships and those type of boots are compulsory.
    Yeah they work well are comfortable plus support your ankles, I twisted my ankles 3 times with the elastic sided ones so decided to go laceups, never happened after that again.
    I have had some issues with them, had King Gee one fell apart in 12 months, contacted them and they replaced with brand new set, these then fell apart in two years.

Had some other brand and they held up for long time but no zipped sides, now using FXD these are good, very stiff to start with but get comfortable relatively quickly.
    It's a shame the King Gees fell apart as they were really comfortable.

Once you have had the zipper versions it's hard to look at any others.

1K Club Member

Yeah they work well are comfortable plus support your ankles, I twisted my ankles 3 times with the elastic sided ones so decided to go laceups, never happened after that again.
    I have had some issues with them, had King Gee one fell apart in 12 months, contacted them and they replaced with brand new set, these then fell apart in two years.

Had some other brand and they held up for long time but no zipped sides, now using FXD these are good, very stiff to start with but get comfortable relatively quickly.
    It's a shame the King Gees fell apart as they were really comfortable.

Yes, the zippers are the way to go these days. Keep the zippers lubed with silicone spray and they'll last as long as the boots.
    When I was working on the railway the elastic sided boots were not allowed either. That's when I stopped wearing the Redbacks.
    I also have the FXDs now, and find them really comfy. They have had lots of problems with the FXDs falling apart, but I got mine when they first came out and they're still good.

2K Club Member

Just realised that the boots I thought were Redback are actually Taipan (steel cap).

Community Moderator

When I was working on the railway the elastic sided boots were not allowed either.
    Why was that?

Community Moderator

The ones my son wears come well up your leg and your ankle is held tightly but they are quick to get off if they end up in the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Just realised that the boots I thought were Redback are actually Taipan (steel cap).
    Thanks for that. I hadn’t hear of them, but I have looked them up - https://taipanfootwear.com/

They look like a very serious product - and Australian made too!

Yes, the zippers are the way to go these days. Keep the zippers lubed with silicone spray and they'll last as long as the boots.
    When I was working on the railway the elastic sided boots were not allowed either. That's when I stopped wearing the Redbacks.
    I also have the FXDs now, and find them really comfy. They have had lots of problems with the FXDs falling apart, but I got mine when they first came out and they're still good.
    The ones my son wears come well up your leg and your ankle is held tightly but they are quick to get off if they end up in the drink.
    Okay, that sounds like good advice.

I might widen my search to consider these on your advice - https://everythingaustralian.com.au/...bzs-black.html
    and https://everythingaustralian.com.au/...bzs-black.html

They have both those in my size in stock, whereas the elastic-sided ones https://everythingaustralian.com.au/...lack-waxy.html are not available in my size until June!

1K Club Member

Why was that?
    I think it was to do with having to walk on ballast and the lack of ankle support. Railway ballast is a very uneven and unstable surface to walk on.
    Another guy told me it was because a correctly laced up boot could not be removed from your foot, so if your foot was removed from your leg the foot would still be intact
    We had to choose from the boots supplied by them, and they were all lace or zip ups.

I'm using some zip up Mongrel boots that my former work bought me...the boots are fine but the zips are as frustrating as fphhhu...

Oh and they were muchly improved by some Superfeet insoles.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    I'm using some zip up Mongrel boots that my former work bought me...the boots are fine but the zips are as frustrating as fphhhu...

Oh and they were muchly improved by some Superfeet insoles.
    Have you tried silicone spray on the zippers?

I can never find a well fitting shoe, any boots suitable for a wide foot?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    Okay, that sounds like good advice.

I might widen my search to consider these on your advice - https://everythingaustralian.com.au/...bzs-black.html
    and https://everythingaustralian.com.au/...bzs-black.html

They have both those in my size in stock, whereas the elastic-sided ones https://everythingaustralian.com.au/...lack-waxy.html are not available in my size until June!

You need to go try them on, some boots are too high and some are very uncomfortable, would be best to try them first before committing.

And agree with the others, bit of silicon spray on the zippers helps keep them going, one of the King Gee I had failed a zipper half way, it was just at the point you could not get your foot out so had to struggle each time with it.

Below is the replacement pair of King Gee, these are just on 2 years old, note both backs of the boots the same weak point destroyed itself, same as the first pair that were replaced, then all the internal supporting / whatever they put in them destroyed itself at the entire back of the boot.

Only one zipper blew out right where you needed it to go past, amazingly it still works but is very difficult ti use, both shoe laces blew up even though these never get used !!.
    Shame as the soles are still perfectly good as is the leather and the rest of the boots, obviously they has some design problems.

Would I recommend the King Gee boots, No, would I recommend the FXD so far yes, the best boots I owned were Olivers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190403_074226.jpg   20190403_074309.jpg   20190403_074331.jpg   20190403_074409.jpg  

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I can never find a well fitting shoe, any boots suitable for a wide foot?
    My son has always struggled to find wide enough footwear, especially for sport and is limited to a couple of brands. He started a job requiring steel capped boots and being a cheapskate, and also not too sure he'd stick at the job, he went to Kmart. He loves the Jackeroo lace/zip boots he bought there.

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    My son has always struggled to find wide enough footwear, especially for sport and is limited to a couple of brands. He started a job requiring steel capped boots and being a cheapskate, and also not too sure he'd stick at the job, he went to Kmart. He loves the Jackeroo lace/zip boots he bought there.
    I might just go to Kmart, hard giving up the thongs though

2K Club Member

I've had a few pairs of the generic whatever brand Target, Kmart, Big W boots in the last few years, all with steel caps coz I'm a bit of a klutz.
    So far all comfortable. Only for use around the house, workshop and on my small handyman jobs I undertake. Most I paid was $49, least was $29. So not overly bothered about how long they last. Current pair is 6 months old and were the 49 pair. Still have lots of life left yet.
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Have you tried silicone spray on the zippers?
    Sure...but repeated applications of farm dirt, dust and mud plus the sheer unkickoffability of the zip boots is what makes them frustrating. I've taken to using the laces...
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Just as an update, I purchased a pair of Redback USCBZS (lace up with side zippers - see https://everythingaustralian.com.au/...bzs-black.html) from Everything Australian.

73e47ecc-7a94-4d6d-aa24-728313706e5c.jpeg

It was the first time that I have been to Everything Australian and I’d have to say that I was very impressed with their product range and their knowledge of their products. They were very helpful and more than willing to spent time helping customers even though they were busy when I called in.

Interestingly, they told me that Rossi is currently relocating it’s factory and that is why the stock of Rossi boots are somewhat depleted. They didn’t have the Rossi boot in my size, however, they were more than happy to call me when stock returns (estimated to be in June) so I can try the Rossi boot if I want to.

I highly recommend popping in to Everything Australian if you are in the area. (They even have those expensive RM Williams boots too!).

Thank you to all the forum members who posted or gave advice. You can see that I have moved away from the elastic-sided boot and have decided to try the zipper type on the collective advice of this forum!

Boot porn.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers