Flue advice

1K Club Member

Default Flue advice

Hi All,
    Just installed a second hand Rayburn stove into our kitchen, replacing the old Metters..
    My challenge is that the flue here is on the right, not centred like the Metters and so lines up exactly with the roof ridge, of course...
    Need to put a dog leg into the flue, therefore I'm seeking opinions about the flue. Am I better putting off the dog leg closer or further away from the stove?
    I have a bit of room so options are there, just thinking which will draw best...

rayburn.jpg
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

4K Club Member

From my understanding of fluid flow and thermo dynamics I don't think the position of the bend will make a lot of different to the draw of the flue. Obviously shallow bends, e.g. 2 x 45 or 2 x 30 degrees, will add less resistance than 2 x 90 degree bends. There will be extra flue surface area in the vicinity of the bends so a little more heat around then. I'd be inclined to put the dog leg about half way so that extra heat is not near the user or the ceiling.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

...dont think it really matters. Seen wood heaters with bends closer to the wood heater and in the roof space. Growing up, our kitchen stove had a bend in the flu in the "hood" from the ceiling so it was out of direct eye sight.

The draw of a flue, is a product of heat difference and mass of smoke in motion. The longer and the thicker the flue, more mass in motion better chances for the smoke that loses heat fast, to make it out with some energy left.
    If your only variable is the bend, put the bend in the area the smoke is hottest and therefore will pass the obstacle with no issues.
    Having a 45+45 bend on top of the stove is probably going to be as ugly as a shaved ape on a catwalk, so further up yet still under the ceiling would be the place i think. It will look very 'country'.
    Oops, agree with John
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Oops, agree with John
    That's enough of that, Marc!
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

1K Club Member

Thanks all for the considered replies. Pretty much my thinking confirmed, but great to get the opinions.
    There is a big fancy rangehood over this and the 900mm gas/electric stove on it's left that goes to the ceiling. Therefore with suitable precautions I'll stick two x 45 degree bends in the hood....

Thanks all...
    David
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    That's enough of that, Marc!
    Gee ... damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Gee ... damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    Once in a while we all have to make sacrifices. They can be tasty if you have the right pizza base, pizza oven and a big knife.