Hire the best Handyman

Hi Every Demolition Person

Apprentice (new member)

Default Hi Every Demolition Person

We need help, we have a house in Kilsyth Victoria. Trouble is we want to sell, my partner wants to knock it down. It's brick and the walls have cracked. We've already outlayed $7000 on having it underpinned, but it just keeps on cracking, I mean really bad.
    Are we throwing good money away by doing it up? The block is approx 890, with a few gum trees close to the boundary. Partner wants to build units, I just say render the whole thing & sell. Is that cheeky?
    Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Cost factors for demolishen work, rebuilding etc

)(

Carpenter

While rendering the house and selling may be an easy option.. think of the poor buyer. He will be in the same situation as you.

IMO, yes thats a little cheeky.

Knock it down and build units.
    Matt

Apprentice (new member)

Cool Sandy

Hi Matt

Any idea who we apply to for demolishen work? Cost etc...

How much to build 3 bedroom units?

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Kilsyth mostly has clay soils and is very reactive to changes in moisture, rendering would only be a short term fix ( disguise).

You would need to apply to the Shire of Yarra Ranges re a demolition permit.

You would need to allow about $500k for three units there, depending on the standard required.

There will also be a lot of other costs involved with council, drainage, landscaping, etc.

Its not as easy as it looks, and allow probably 3 years to completion.

If borrowing funds to do this, you need to make sure you have some reserve as there will be delays, and the finance costs of this can severely eat into any profit.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Apprentice (new member)

Default Fix it or knock it down?

We want to sell, I believe sell it with a few renovations we have already started, my partner believes it would be more profitable to bulldoze & put 2 x 3 bedroom units on it.
    We have underpinned as I said in my first email, but it hasn't really achieved much, & apparantly life time guarantees for underpinning doesn't seem to mean much as it was only 3 years ago when we had it done.

We need someone to advise best way to go & least expensive as well as costs involved to renovate. We have just done the kitchen, I already have the tiles for bathroom & laundry but their are jagged cracks in the brick at the front door approx 7cm wide going up the wall. The external wall is actually leaning inwards towards the front door. It's all very depressing!

1K Club Member

On a reactive clay soil, anything will continue to crack as has already been mentioned. Even your new units, unless you are able to establish footings deep enough to stabilise it onto bedrock... Lots of money whichever option you go for. Are the cracks just unsightly or are they major structural cracks? If the former, then I would just go with the flow. Every other house in the district will have the same problems. Alternately, demolish and build in timber with a floating floor (no slab), so the materials are flexible and move with the soil.