Hire the best Handyman

Hills Hoist

Default Hills Hoist

Would like to try and fix my mother's. Can't find a parts diagram anywhere on the net, anyone know where you can get one? From my reading there is a washer that is often responsible for the hoist not working, need its dimensions before I take this thing apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Would like to try and fix my mother's. Can't find a parts diagram anywhere on the net, anyone know where you can get one? From my reading there is a washer that is often responsible for the hoist not working, need its dimensions before I take this thing apart.
    Did you check out http://www.renovateforum.com/f85/hil...chanism-94478/
    HandyAnnie's thread has lots of good info and pictures
    Tools are good, more tools are better!

Yes, saw it, it is very helpful and from my reading of it I'm probably going to need a washer but if there's some diagram around it just makes it easier.

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Here's a rough (cross section) drawing of the washer.

It's actually stamped to shape rather than an ordinary "dougnut" looking washer.

We used to weld in a shock absorber washer from a car that provided the hole plus a "recess" to match the top part of the rack.

Hope that makes sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clothesline-diagram-001.jpg   clothesline-diagram-001.jpg  
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Thanks Bedford that helps a lot. Any idea of the dimensions of this shock absorber washer? I know the part will be hard to find but I have a metal lathe and can turn something up if it's not too difficult, don't know about the "dome" part though. Is the dome part critical, it looks like if you don't have it, it may limit the travel a little but not much. Also, haven't opened the hoist up yet, can the part of the washer that wears down be welded/repaired in anyway?

Thanks Bedford that helps a lot. Any idea of the dimensions of this shock absorber washer?
    Roughly an inch and a half diameter.

I know the part will be hard to find but I have a metal lathe and can turn something up if it's not too difficult, don't know about the "dome" part though. Is the dome part critical, it looks like if you don't have it, it may limit the travel a little but not much.
    The dome bit is what allows the hook to engage, i.e. in order to start the hook in the hole the rack and the tube can't be in a straight line so it sorta pivots via the dome. The dome and matching piece on the rack is where the weight is located, but constant rotating eventually wears the dome/ washer part to the diameter of the rack, allowing the rack to enter into the tube rather than raising it.

Also, haven't opened the hoist up yet, can the part of the washer that wears down be welded/repaired in anyway?
    It's pretty thin and you'd need to be able to reduce the hole size from a bit over an inch to approx half an inch.

This is the sort of thing I've used, Front Top/Bottom Shock Absorber Washer, Mark's Garage for Land Rovers

Just weld it over the worn washer..........good for another fifty years!
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Thanks a lot Bedford, that really explains it in detail. I was planning to do this job this weekend, I notice that the part you linked to is in pounds, can you get the part in Australia?

Someone like Pedders SportsRyder Range - SportsRyder Suspension - Pedders Suspension or any of the "Mufflers,Brakes and Shocker" mobs would have some washers, I only used that link because it had a decent pic.

It is possible that when you get it apart it might have a nylon bush on top of the rack as shown here, http://www.renovateforum.com/f85/hil...78/#post821371 but in the dozen or so I've fixed I've never seen one like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    Someone like Pedders SportsRyder Range - SportsRyder Suspension - Pedders Suspension or any of the "Mufflers,Brakes and Shocker" mobs would have some washers, I only used that link because it had a decent pic.

Great, one out our way in Ringwood so not too far.

It is possible that when you get it apart it might have a nylon bush on top of the rack as shown here, http://www.renovateforum.com/f85/hil...78/#post821371 but in the dozen or so I've fixed I've never seen one like that.
    My mum's would be about 40 or so years old so not sure but do you think the bush is essential to the operation? If it is, and it can't be easily replaced we might have a problem.

I'm yet to take the hoist apart and it's raining heavily at the moment so will try and have a look today. From memory it had a few things wrong with it like not being able to raise it and the handle a sloppy fit for the shaft that gears the hoist. We'll soon see, thanks so much Bedford, great to have someone who knows so much about these things here.

If you get it apart, post some pics and we can go from there.

OK, will take it apart, hopefully today if the weather permits. Will try and source the cup washer as well or see if I can fabricate one.

You might be able to get parts at this place.
    Hills Industries Clearance Centre

5 Cambria Road, Keysborough VIC 3173 | Telephone - (03) 9238 2555

In the past I have bought spare parts, clothes line and extension ladder from them but it is years since I have been there. Could be worth ringing first.

Thanks Handy, I may give them a try, I'm been caught up with other things and still haven't taken the thing apart yet, hopefully this weekend.

1K Club Member

I think you will find that the clearance centre is closed

Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Tools View Post
    I think you will find that the clearance centre is closed

Tools
    You're right, no response on that number anyway.

Any car wrecker you care to name would have a domed washer from a shock absorber mount kicking around
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Finally got to have a look at it tonight. Handle was loose, undid the bolt and it was badly stripped. Replaced the bolt which made the handle a little tighter and the hoist went up but a few turns in it seems like it's getting caught somewhere, anyway persevered and it eventually went all the way up. Coming down I feel less resistance. I worked it up and down and it became a little easier but still gets caught at some places. I wanted to try and take it apart to replace the grease but noticed a big crack down below, it is cast iron so probably difficult to weld, would something like JBweld work here or it there some other way to fix this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clothesline.jpg   clothesline01.jpg   clothesline2.jpg  

Took it apart and cleaned out old grease/dirt and put fresh grease in, checked out the gears and all looked ok. I think that the handle moves slightly better but on the way up it jams every 3 revolutions at about the 10 o'clock position. It comes down fairly smoothly. I've taken a picture of the part that the handle sits in (which has a u-type channel in it) and it sits slightly loose, don't know if it's worn or suppose to be that way? Any ideas on what I can do next?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hills-piece.jpg  

Firstly I'm not sure what to do about the crack..........

I'm not sure what the gear ratio is but could be 3:1, if so, I suspect there must be something sitting between a couple of teeth on the crown wheel.

This could be why it jams every three turns, I think you need to have a good look there.

The channel where the handle sits was just a cast groove so never a perfect fit, as long as the cap is on and the bolt is tight it should be ok.

Thanks Bedford for your thoughts there. Checked the teeth pretty thouroughly and they all looked ok. It isn't just the groove that's sloppy, it's the whole circular piece in which the groove sits that's sloppy. Any idea why it doesn't jam on the way down and only on the way up?

. It isn't just the groove that's sloppy, it's the whole circular piece in which the groove sits that's sloppy.
    This would allow the pinion gear to tilt which alters the gear alignment and could cause it to bind.

It might be too far gone to be worth bothering with it.

Any idea why it doesn't jam on the way down and only on the way up?
    Gravity helps on the way down, but also the pinion will sit closer to alignment as the load is on the other side where it's probably not as worn.

You might be able to get a secondhand hoist from Gumtree, Hills Hoist | Other Garden | Gumtree Australia Manningham Area - Warrandyte | 1031627175

Was $100, now $70, should get it for $50 easy enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    This would allow the pinion gear to tilt which alters the gear alignment and could cause it to bind.

It might be too far gone to be worth bothering with it.

So it should not be have that much slop, wonder if I make up a sleeve to go around it and weld the piece to it so that I take out some of the slop?

You could try that but the housing will be worn too.

You'd need to machine the housing and make an oversized sleeve.

Sounds like a lot of work for a clothes line.

1K Club Member

This seems rather timely as I am in the middle of erecting my own second hand hills hoist and have run into a slight problem (and hello all, sorry it's been a while, life got in the way of all the work I have to do ). All the bits seem to be there and are attached at the right places, but I can't get it to go up and down.

This is the long view and as you can see the hooky thing seems to be in place and the washer also (so much so I can not get the top tube off to get in and clean things up). All the cogs seem to be in good condition and so too is the rest of the mechanism. The casing at the top there, btw is not the one for this hoist, but for the spare one I also have lying around.

As you can see the packing grease needs to be cleaned off an replaced as it is full of goodness knows what. When I insert the long bit into the bottom tube jiggle everything around so it is sitting nicely and add the casing (with the cogs of the handle engaged with the cogs of the crown shown in this image) and bolt it all together ... well it looks good. Winding the handle can be a bit of a challenge but I am guessing this is down to the state of the grease. When it does wind, nothing happens. The upper tube sits there and looks at me. What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg  

Welcome back!

Firstly you need to wind that gear back down the rack ( the long bit) this should allow you to angle the rack to disengage the hook.

If it won't angle enough to disengage, I think the inner (uppermost) tube is probably set too high in the outer tube.

This can be altered by loosening the screw/bolt located on the "cross" casting where four pipes fit that hold the wire.(carefully so as not to break it, plenty of WD40 type stuff) which should allow the inner tube to protrude from the outer tube so the hook can be disengaged.

If it comes apart you should be able to clean and grease it, a wire brush will help.

When you clean it you should be able to see if there is a "tab" type bit on the cone/tapered piece below the gear that sits on the ground tube.

These tabs locate on the ground tub to stop it turning, but also set the clearance between the big gear and the winding handle gear.

If this part is not sitting in the right place it could mean the gears are not engaging properly, this could make it hard to wind up.

I reckon give it a bath and post some pics of the gears, washers, housing and the top of the ground pipe and we'll go from there.

1K Club Member

Thanks Bedford - sad to lose Watson, so sad. I will get back to you tomorrow arvo once I do that. Knock off time in these parts now (and working out how to get the grease off my hands, lol).

1K Club Member

Yesterday was hot and I had to go to Hobart so sorry for the delay.

So, I have managed to wrench it into action - first took off that ring that was sitting below the 'crown' arrangement. Turns out that simply slides off when there is no gunge to hold it in position. It then required considerable shoving and pushing to get the crown moving, but once it too was past the build up of packing oil it scrolled down to the bottom of the shaft quite happily.

As you suggested Bedford, that gave me a clearer look into the pipe that is the clothesline, and the hole where the hooky thing pokes into said pipe. The hole seems to be consistent with the correct design size.
    And the whole lot when poked into the clothesline parts, result in the raising of the internal cylinder as it is supposed to happen. So I am guessing that it was simply the accumulated grunge in the grease that was the problem. Let me know what you think Bedford and if you are happy with this I will put it back together properly and see what happens!! I will be so excited to have a functioning clothesline after five years of deprivation!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006.jpg   014.jpg  

I reckon it will work at that.

Grease the washer at the bottom of the inner upper tube and where it mates with the hook bit, this is the main bit that wears as it spins.

Next, grease amongst the teeth on the rack (the bit with the hook on it).

Then the teeth of the gears and also below the crown gear where that ring was (this ring carries all the weight so greasing reduces friction there).

If you've had the handle off and the small gear out grease that gear where it locates in the housing.

While grease is good don't over do it as you don't want it oozing out (Probably mainly near the handle) on your clean washing!

Most importantly after all that grease and assembly, don't forget to wash your hands and have a beer.

1K Club Member

Washing my hands in unleaded tends to make the beer smell odd, but I will take your advice!! Thanks Bedford - helpful as always!!

Petrol and other spirits dry your skin too much....if you can get past the smell, yuck!! A better idea and one which we've used for many, many years is to lather your hands with soap then sprinkle sugar (about a teaspoon is enough) in the palm of your hand and continue rubbing your hands together. Sugar crystals are abrasive without damaging the skin and there isn't any horrible smell. We have always kept a jar of sugar in the work vehicle and around the shed and other likely hand-washing areas at home. Sugar can be used for any hand cleaning but works fabulously on grease.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    Washing my hands in unleaded tends to make the beer smell odd, but I will take your advice!! Thanks Bedford - helpful as always!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renopa View Post
    ! A better idea and one which we've used for many, many years is to lather your hands with soap then sprinkle sugar (about a teaspoon is enough) in the palm of your hand and continue rubbing your hands together.
    Raw laundry clothes washing powder works well too.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; 2nd Oct 2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spellin sux

1K Club Member

Brilliant -thanks for those tips guys - Since messing around with grease seems to be an ongoing activity right now, it will be good to know how to get clean again. There are a couple of screws that I need to loosen to put the rest of it together that are proving a challenge - lots of WD40 on them and sitting in the hot sun for the time being.

One last tip for putting the thing back together again....

There are a couple of holes on the posts both above and below where the cog mechanism sits once it is in position. When you go to put the two halves of the handle piece back on, you need to match the little lugs on the handle-side of the two pieces, to the holes in the posts, so that it locks the two posts together when you tighten the handle box on. Clever little design! Now I am waiting for those screws to come loose so I can attach the arms to the thing and get them all sorted, level and ready to receive wire once I can get down to Hobart to get some.

4K Club Member

If rewiring get the plastic coated gal wire, it leaves fewer marks on your clothes and give it a good hosing down first.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

1K Club Member

Sounds like a good compromise Ted, I will do that. I had not fancied the plastic coated rope since it seems to sag rapidly when exposed to heat and weights - plastic coated gal should sustain both!!

Apprentice (new member)

Just wanted to say thanks to Bedford and other contributors. I was able to pull down my hills, replace the washer with a shock absorber washer ground down to fit and get the hills hoist operational again. All in one arvo.
    I would not have been able to do it without the info in this thread so thanks again fellas.