Hire the best Handyman

Levelling the dirt floor under the building.

Default Levelling the dirt floor under the building.

I have a storage area under a building, itís nice and dry and doesnít leak. Currently the floor slopes and this makes it more difficult to store things in. It is fairly solid dirt/clay with some small rocks but is breaking up pretty easily with a mattock.

I would like to level the area and possibly in the future seal the floor in some way. Aside from the obvious mattock, shovel and hard yakka methods can anyone suggest ways to make it quicker/easier to level and smooth? I have plenty of headroom in the area and easy access to power, but not likely to get any size machine in there easily. The area would be 3x10m easily.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

4K Club Member

How much dirt do you need to remove?
    10m<3?
    I assume that any structural issues are taken into account.
    Once the first vertical cut is taken a bucket brigade/ wheelbarrow shouldn't take too long. Getting rid of the spoil will probably be the hardest part
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Thanks moondog. Shouldn’t have any drama with footings etc it’s about 250-300mm fall to remove. I can also hide the excess in a separate area, ie just moving it around. I guess bit by bit is the way to go, there isn’t a big rush on it.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

After attempting with a mattock and shovel that appeared to be difficult to actually level and was hard work.

This morning I attempted a new technique. Laser level line aimed high enough to get a reference line onto a cheap SDS hammer in chisel mode. Quick bit downward until I meet the reference line every 50mm or so and it breaks up the dirt to enable easy shovelling. Much less work