Hire the best Handyman

Location of attic manhole ladder in the porch

Default Location of attic manhole ladder in the porch

I'm looking to install an attic ladder, but the best location for it appears to be in the porch - outside the house.

reasons being:
    • no modification to ceiling joists required to fit the attic ladder
    • roof space is most open - making easiest for storage

Obviously, the main concern is security, however the porch ceiling height from ground is 2.7m so unreachable by hand.

The only other location is widening an existing tiny access hole. However, this requires:
    • bracing/modifying ceiling joists that will require cutting. But this bracing would likely go over a wall that we will be removing in future - similar the the bracing shown by Skew here: https://www.renovateforum.com/f76/in...e-cover-60499/
    • This access hole is close to lots obstacles making boarding the area tricky storing things not very suitable - truss webs, bathroom extractor fan etc

Finally, the porch area is currently lockable, but due to its very poor state of repairs, it will be replaced with something in future - which may or may not be lockable

I was wondering whether based on all of this, whether putting an attic ladder in the porch is a wise move?

Cheers

Golden Member

....sounds like its really a question of security. If it doesn't concern you, stick it in the porch....keeping in mind that 2.7m is nothing in terms of height. It would take all of 10sec to reach the latch to pull down, enter the roof space and easily step through the roof plaster to gain access to the house.

Personally I'd be looking at a location within the house. It will be far more usable rather then your neighbors and anyone else walking by seeing you drop down a ladder on the porch.
    Neighbor had one put into a spare bedroom in a location where is was easy to put some sheets of ply/yellow tongue for some easy access good storage.

Thanks Bart. yes it does come down to security. I completely understand your outline process how someone could enter the house - although, you would think that breaking a window would be alot easier and less hassle that trying to reach a hatch etc.

Afterall, 90% + of houses have single pane glass in windows/doors. That was my thinking.

Maybe a simple door lock on it?

7K Club Member

Yep, just add a flush lock to it. Weld the key to the other end of the pull-down stick

We love our attic ladder and space, but we really do tend to store things that should be discarded

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    but we really do tend to store things that should be discarded
    what else am I going to put up there??? the wife wont even let me buy an artificial christmas tree