Hire the best Handyman

Mould in Silicone?

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default Mould in Silicone?

Hi Guys,

Any tips to get rid of mould spots in Silicone inside the shower.

Been inside my new house for 18 months so it was a matter of time. Caulker applied the silicone, all 473m of it.

It's only a few black spots 3mm in size for now....

I can try bleach but have heard that bleach will remove/bleach the outer layer of the mould but the roots will come back.

I have heard that vinegar kills mould spores, roots and all.

I've also soaked the silicone with wet tissue of double strength vinegar (8%) over night and unfortunately it's still there.

Any tips?

lk

Apprentice (new member) ForeverYoung's Avatar

In my experience the mould is under the silicone.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default Mould in Silicone?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    In my experience the mould is under the silicone.
    Anyway to removing it, short of cutting the silicone out?

lk

7K Club Member

I've only ever used a bleach gel (Domestos, full strength) soaked toilet tissue for 24 hours (time it between last morning and first next morning showers). And I'm happy enough with the result for a few months

I think I'll try the vinegar soak then the bleach gel soak next time. Might get 6 months out of the effort

JB1
    1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    I've only ever used a bleach gel (Domestos, full strength) soaked toilet tissue for 24 hours (time it between last morning and first next morning showers). And I'm happy enough with the result for a few months

I think I'll try the vinegar soak then the bleach gel soak next time. Might get 6 months out of the effort
    The Vinegar has reduced the mould somewhat, I'm going to leave it for a couple of days to see if it takes longer to kill the mould.

From all reports Vinegar kills mould roots, while bleach only kills the surface of the mould but bleaches it clean so it looks like it's gone, but doesn't kill what is underneath.

With the bleach, you need to redo every 6 months? That's not too bad.

Try adding in baking soda to the bleach.
    ...I like Reno's idea of soaked tissues.

https://www.essentialhomeandgarden.c...ly-and-easily/

1. Put some baking soda in your bowl and slowly add small amounts of bleach until you have a paste-like substance (make more than you need, you don’t want to run out and this is cheap stuff)
    2. Grab the paint brush and use it to apply the paste to the mold
    3. Use the plastic wrap to cover the paste on the mold – this may be a bit difficult depending on the location – just do what you can
    4. Leave it to sit for at least 1 – 2 hours
    5. Remove the plastic covering and clean off the paste (which may have dried out). If your mold is gone then you are done. If the mold is still there then start again

I found Vinegar does nothing, sprayed it on on older bathroom here (it will be ripped out so didn't care too much about what I was spraying on the finished surfaces) the vinegar didn't do a thing.

I tried Selleys Rapid Mould Killer, it works very quickly and appeared to get rid of everything, but does need applying every now and then as it comes back, it contains Sodium Hypochlorite.

I have also tried the 30 seconds outdoor cleaner, this brings the entire shower up like brand new, but again it needs doing every now and then, it also contains Sodium Hypoclorite, and additional stuff, it works really well for brightening dull white clothes as well, they come up like new, only a small amount in a bucket of hot water.

30 seconds is potent stuff, once I was spraying a fence, using a new pump pack, I didn't check and the hose fitting were not fully attached at the factory, when I pumped it up, the hose blew off, and 30 seconds went on my clothes, within 10 seconds it had completely bleached the blue colour our of the pants to an almost white colour !!

I would be tending to rip the silicon out and apply a new generation, such as Selleys No mould, I have had this in for a while and no signs of anything yet.

Previous bathrooms no matter what brand had mould within two years in the shower, you only need to take it out of the shower recess as this is the only spot that really gets affected.

https://www.selleys.com.au/products/...icone-sealant/
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    Try adding in baking soda to the bleach.
    ...I like Reno's idea of soaked tissues.

https://www.essentialhomeandgarden.c...ly-and-easily/

1. Put some baking soda in your bowl and slowly add small amounts of bleach until you have a paste-like substance (make more than you need, you don’t want to run out and this is cheap stuff)
    2. Grab the paint brush and use it to apply the paste to the mold
    3. Use the plastic wrap to cover the paste on the mold – this may be a bit difficult depending on the location – just do what you can
    4. Leave it to sit for at least 1 – 2 hours
    5. Remove the plastic covering and clean off the paste (which may have dried out). If your mold is gone then you are done. If the mold is still there then start again
    Baking soda and hydrogen Peroxide works a treat on stone benchtops to remove stubborn stains, I haven't found a stain it can't remove, even turmeric came straight out.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    I would be tending to rip the silicon out and apply a new generation, such as Selleys No mould, I have had this in for a while and no signs of anything yet.

Previous bathrooms no matter what brand had mould within two years in the shower, you only need to take it out of the shower recess as this is the only spot that really gets affected.

https://www.selleys.com.au/products/...icone-sealant/
    ....similar experience as it has mold inhibitors. Not zero maint proof but generally last years longer before issues occur.

7K Club Member

This just popped up in social media. Go figure

https://yourhomeheroes.co/products/silicone-mould-hero

Anyone used it?