Hire the best Handyman

Need a hydraulic gate closer for this gate, but how to fit ant what one?

2K Club Member

Default Need a hydraulic gate closer for this gate, but how to fit ant what one?

I have a gate here as you can see opens outwards towards the cameraman in this photo. It currently has spring hinges that annoy the crap out of me as when people let it go it just slams shut, but when they close it gently it does not latch locked. What I want to happen is to fit some sort of closing mechanism onto it like a door so it closes and has enough force to latch itself quietly without slamming so it prevents these people who let it go in the open position slamming it and so it latches with enough force when these people who close it gently close it. any ideas??? I find a lot of gate closers wont work for this gate due to its design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3285.jpg  

3K Club Member

[QUOTE=wozzzzza;915665]I have a gate here as you can see opens outwards towards the cameraman in this photo. It currently has spring hinges that annoy the crap out of me as when people let it go it just slams shut, but when they close it gently it does not latch locked. What I want to happen is to fit some sort of closing mechanism onto it like a door so it closes and has enough force to latch itself quietly without slamming so it prevents these people who let it go in the open position slamming it and so it latches with enough force when these people who close it gently close it. any ideas??? I find a lot of gate closers wont work for this gate due to its design.

If you open the bonnet or boot or tailgate of a lot of cars you will see they are held up with a gas strut.

You will need only one light strut mounted onto the top rail of the fence to gate.

You will need a 90 degree bracket with 2 holes to mount to the gate between the 2nd and 3rd arrow head, and one hole in the other section for the strut bolt to mount to.

You will also need a u bracket, again, with 2 holes to mount to the rail and 1 hole for the strut bolt to mount to.

When fitting the rail bracket you will need to compress the strut approx 70mm so you have a slight pressure for the gate to close.

Hope this makes sense.

Try this place and explain what you want to achieve.

North Queensland Lifting Solutions & Strut Regas Cairns

2K Club Member

contacted them and they said nothing they have can help me out here. anything else??

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    contacted them and they said nothing they have can help me out here. anything else??
    Typical of some Australian businesses, if you cannot tell them the exact strut you require, it's too hard for them.

This Holden Commodore VT VX VU VY VZ GAS Bonnet Struts Pair | eBay is what I would use for what you need and you

get a spare as well, but you will then have to get the ball type bolt and nut for one end from a Holden Dealer or maybe CarsRus (the Cairns strut place will have them also) or from a Holden wreck, and you will need 1 angle bracket (probably

available local hardware) as well as screws/bolts/nuts to attach to the gate or rail, and the ball type bolt will then attach to the bracket.

All up cost should not exceed $50

CarsRus are very good to deal with, I have bought off them before. Phone them if you wish, you don't have to order on line if you don't want to.

Good Luck

2K Club Member

I think I get what you have in mind, when I get time will pull one off my bonnet and see if it will seem to work ok.