Hire the best Handyman

Partition Wall Help

Apprentice (new member)

Default Partition Wall Help

Hi,

I'm new to DIY projects and am looking at installing a partition wall. I've read and watched a bunch of videos etc., but I'm still unsure about what tools/fixings to be used when it comes to attaching it to the concrete slab and our roof. Our floor is a concrete slab so I'm assuming a tekbolt or something like that but our roof is also concrete with some kind of metal facade/cladding and I'm not entirely sure what to use to fix the frame to the roof.

mvimg_20200815_142548.jpg
    This is what the ceiling looks like if anyone is able to identify or give advice on how to go about affixing a frame to it!

Thanks!

Looks like Bondek
    https://www.lysaght.com/products/bondek

The steel sheeting is laid as permanent formwork for the concrete slab to be poured on top, the structural component is the concrete slab, the steel is really just formwork.

Does the partition need to be attached to the ceiling ? If it runs from wall to wall you probably don’t need fixing at the top, concrete / masonry anchors for the floor and wall.

7K Club Member

If that roof is exposed to the weather, I wouldn't be putting holes in it without knowing a lot about the waterproofing etc.

Apprentice (new member)

I'm not sure if it needs to be attached to the ceiling. The wall would span roughly 3310mm X 2400mm and would include a door. If I can get away with floor and wall fixings only then I will but as mentioned; I'm new to building and DIY so I'm not entirely sure!

If the partition extends from one wall to another and is 3310 long I would not attach to the ceiling.
    Just use a single piece of 90x45 as the top plate, do not have a join.

For just a partition wall the topplate (if it is to be a stud wall) could be adhered with polyurethane or perhaps stud adhesive. For ease of construction I would resist anchoring it with fixings if possible.

edit: It might be worth considering the adhesive as well as thin dynabolts that might squeeze into the wider ribbing gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    For just a partition wall the topplate (if it is to be a stud wall) could be adhered with polyurethane or perhaps stud adhesive. For ease of construction I would resist anchoring it with fixings if possible.

edit: It might be worth considering the adhesive as well as thin dynabolts that might squeeze into the wider ribbing gaps.
    If the ribbing gaps were wide enough, could use 10mm wedge nuts

If you do want to stabilise the top of the wall there are clips for suspension from Bondek ceilings or as above wedge nuts.
    https://www.unitedfasteners.com.au/c...uspension-clip
    https://www.unitedfasteners.com.au/c...hors/wedge-nut

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    If you do want to stabilise the top of the wall there are clips for suspension from Bondek ceilings or as above wedge nuts.
    https://www.unitedfasteners.com.au/c...uspension-clip
    https://www.unitedfasteners.com.au/c...hors/wedge-nut
    Just the ticket! As the wall will have a door in it, fixing the top plate like this will reduce vibration etc if/when the door is closed heavily

noice...seems I was on the right track then

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Looks like Bondek
    https://www.lysaght.com/products/bondek

The steel sheeting is laid as permanent formwork for the concrete slab to be poured on top, the structural component is the concrete slab, the steel is really just formwork.

Does the partition need to be attached to the ceiling ? If it runs from wall to wall you probably don’t need fixing at the top, concrete / masonry anchors for the floor and wall.
    Bondek formwork is not “just” formwork. It is essential to the structural integrity of the concrete suspended slab. The top of a simple suspended slab will be in compression whilst the bottom will be in tension. Concrete is strong in compression but weak in tension. Bondek provides the steel reinforcement at the bottom of the slab that handles the tensional forces. It replaces the traditional internal steel reinforcement bars laid towards the bottom of a suspended concrete slab when Bondek is not used.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers