Hire the best Handyman

Selling of Tin Ceilings

Apprentice (new member)

Default Selling of Tin Ceilings

I am wanting to know the names of companies in Sydney that buy tin ceilings? I just bought a large one bedroom in a 1920's building and I am about to make the one bedroom into two bedrooms, and as much as I dont like getting rid of orginal features the beautifull tin roof will look strange with a stud wall going through it. I also didnt want to cover them up with plasterboard, I was hoping I could sell them.

1K Club Member

Ebay is always a great place to put your building materials.
    I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

Soldiers Earned Your Right To Free Speech watson's Avatar

You could always post into Buy Sell & Swap here as a back up too.
    A pic and dimensions would help you there

1K Club Member

What do you propose to replace it with if not plaster? If you are replacing it with plaster, then you might as well leave it there for someone to discover next time the place is renovated. Are you dividing the room or removing the intervening wall between two rooms? If the latter, you can leave a nib on the ceiling (and both side walls) to define where the wall used to be, avoid the problem with the ceiling and again, get a better conservation result.

ETA You can also get repro of most of the lysaght patterns these days so you can fix up any awkward bits.

I am saying this as removing it will be very painstaking and may well result in all the sheets being ruined (not to mention the mess on the floor when they come down).

Apprentice (new member)

Good point about the mess on the floor *Black cat*. I was planning on putting in a false ceilings. I am making the one bedroom into two bedrooms directly through the centre. The other reason why i wanted to put false ceilings in is the building has resently been brought up to firesafety compliance and all the piping and sprinklers are making the tin ceilings no so pretty any more. I was thinking i could make a couple of dollars on the ceiling and then plaster all the walls and ceilings to make it clean-line modern.

What do you think? Should i just leave the ceiling under the plaster?

1K Club Member

Well I would, but I am a heritage professional so tend to be a bit more precious about that sort of thing than most. I am guessing this will be a rental property then, in which case the quick cheap option will still be plastering over what is there (often the way with heritage conservation, the low impact option is preferred and is frequently cheaper). If you are doing a quick in-and-out reno for rental then yes, leave it where it is or you will be burning the motors out on endless 'industrial' machines.