Hire the best Handyman

Shed small window install

Apprentice (new member)

Default Shed small window install

Hi all.

Was hoping for a little advice around the install of a small aluminium frame window into my shed.

Shed is timber frame construction with sarking and then corrugated gal sheets externally.

I've attached a photo of the window and want to know if I need to put like a plyboard box around the aluminium window to house it before boxing it in the timber frame wall? As this may help with flashing? And I'm also not sure on the external face where the flashing and window and plywood housing meet do I just put timber architrave window finishing or get some form of 90 metal channel to house it?

Or of there were any online references for window frame installation within Australia that people are aware of that would be useful also

Cheers
    Delbs

Slk

4K Club Member
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks John. Well that's simple in comparison. I guess my next question is. My window doesn't have that straight edge all around that the guy screws into from the external face, also the other edging they tap into place, is that common or know where I can find it?

Wondering if my windows missing things and should get another one or these extra bits are easy enough to find.

Cheers

Sepatalk

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndelbs View Post
    My window doesn't have that straight edge all around that the guy screws into from the external face, also the other edging they tap into place, is that common or know where I can find it?
    Sorry I know nuffink, I just posted a link.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mv5bmje4mzg3otgxnl5bml5banbnxkftztcwmtm0mdgxoa-._v1_uy317_cr101-0-214-317_al_.jpg  
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

3K Club Member

The easiest way is fix some ali angle probably 25x25 or 20x20 around the timber frame opening then set the window in from the outside and rivet it to the ali angle from inside.
    i.e the window sits slightly inside the timber frame opening.
    The angle may even have to be larger across the timber frame opening, but impossible to say without seeing the 2nd hand window in person.
    Make sure the set out of the angle sets the window up so the corro sheeting fits straight into the opening around the window frame.
    At the top you are best to have some eyebrow flashing, this is installed before the sheeting, and at the bottom there is a rubber sill seal missing from the window frame which you may be able to purchase from a window/glass business.
    It usually protrudes outside the window frame each side about 100mm.

You don't say if the interior walls are to be sheeted, if so, you can fit a pine jam up to the window to finish it along with architraves if you so desire.

Apprentice (new member)

I'll have to source some channel to fit into the grooves and drill and rivet it together. There is a timber frame on the inside of the corrugated exterior so I could build a timber frame for it to be supported by and plywood internal walls

I have a roll of the residue based flashing I just wasn't sure if the window is supposed to sit flush on the external wall or protruding which is where I'll need the angled bracket to screw it in.

Cheers
    Delbs

Slk