Hire the best Handyman

Skylights

Apprentice (new member)

Default Skylights

Hi guys
    We need to put a skylight in our longeroom/kitchen...whats the go these days ?? Are the round ones better than the square ones now?? We need one that has the tube that comes down thru the ceiling as dont have raked ceilings?? Has anyone found them to be too warm in the Summer?? Any suggestions appreciated
    Cheer Seamus

Powered By Pastries anawanahuanana's Avatar

G'day Seamus.
    I put a round one in with a metallic flexi-tube and frosted plastic diffuser in our kitchen last year. It is the brightest thing on earth! Does a fantastic job and we haven't had any problems with heat coming down through it. We'll be putting another one in (in the hallway) when the summer goes away and I'm game to venture up into the roof again.....
    It was just one of the Abey ones from Bunnies.
    "I'll find him for three. but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing......."

My home already had 500mm square skylights installed when I bought it.

They compensate for the big back colourbond veranda, letting in ample light during winter but in summer they get incredibly hot, so I slide a piece of thick cardboard in above the diffuser.

I have seen the smaller round 'sola-tube' type installed and to me they seem much brighter to the point of being blindingly light.
    Jack

I guess one of my biggest concerns is how they handle hail....

Apprentice (new member)

thanks heaps guys, looks like round ones are the go...no one had any trouble with leaks?? Cheers Seamus

Hi Seamus,

Even with round skylights, there are different types & different quality.

Cheapest ones you buy in any hardware supplier incl. Bunnings, with the flexible foil duct. The dome and diffuser will be lower quality as well. Then you have branded ones like Solatube (which I found to be excellent in terms of quality and options/accessories). Their starting range (Econotube) is like the above, but a little higher quality. Then their midrange one, with a solid aluminium tube (Heavenly something??, they call it), and finally their top-end (Infinity) with the same solid tube but with a super reflective coating.

Also, size 300 mm or 400 mm. So lowest quality and 300 mm would start from $100++ self install while 400 mm highest quality and installed for you would be $900++ What should you go for?

Depends on what you want and what your roof profile is. If you don't need that much light &/or if the distance between the roof tile/sheet and the ceiling is minimal (eg. 300 to 500 mm), then you can consider the cheaper options. If you want to maximize the light coming in and/or if the distance between the roof & ceiling is quite large (eg. >600 mm) , then you may want to consider the more expensive ones. Of course, the better ones have better diffusers which look nicer from the interior as well.

For my own, I went for the Solatube, midrange (Heavenly ...., sorry i forget the name), and it's a really high quality fitting.

Re leaks, the system itself won't leak, but watch that the installer does a good job with the roof tiles around the soaker tray. I wasn't too happy with the way my Solatube installer cut one tile next to the soaker tray (large vertical gap between the soaker tray & botton of tile) as it was a potential for leaks in a heavy rain with very strong winds, so I improved it a little.

Another thing to ensure in the install is that the diffuser ring is siliconed (ie. to create a seal), to prevent dirt from the roof cavity coming into the tube/diffuser. A place I rented in the past had a skylight diffuser which always had dirt inside (even after I cleaned it once) after strong winds, and after seeing the Solatube installer silicone it, I now know that the rented one didn't have that seal.

Hope this helps.