Hire the best Handyman

What is this?

3K Club Member

Default What is this?

Sorry for the blurry pic. What do you think this is? The circle of spikes is a wheel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15122013310.jpg  

Apprentice (new member)

Mum used one like this as a tracing wheel prior to sewing heavier fabrics or leather

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by brolgas View Post
    Mum used one like this as a tracing wheel prior to sewing heavier fabrics or leather
    This was my first thought. I always used one with some sewing tracing paper, which left little coloured dots as a guide for sewing tricky things, like darts. This piece looks a bit hefty, so it's likely to been used to mark leather for sewing.

Ted says to buy it. Old tools like that can bring big dollars on eBay!
    I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

3K Club Member

Cheers for that. I was close. I thought it was to make perforations for patterns. Maybe I'll buy it, next time I'm there.

3K Club Member

Bronwyn PM'd me this answer so I thought it best to copy it into the thread. Thanks for clearing that up Bronwyn. I was sort of on the right track. My mum was a seamstress and I had a vague memory of her using something like it with carbon paper to mark out the material.

G'day Su

It is definitely a tracing wheel used mainly in dressmaking along with chalk or dressmaker's tracing paper which is carbon paper and usually sold in a pack of 4 sheets each of a different colour. Light colours for dark fabrics and vice versa.

Lay the fabric on the table, then carbon/tracing paper then run along seam lines, darts, buttonholes or button placement etc etc with the tracing wheel and it leaves coloured dots on the fabric. The major problem with this tracing paper was that it didn't always wash out as it was supposed to and quite often left coloured dots on the fabric that remained there forever. Moreso if you happened to iron over them which seemed to set the colour.

Pre tracing paper the tracing wheel was used with a 'pounce' which is a small fabric bag containing chalk dust that you wiped over the pattern and the chalk would fall through the holes left by the tracing wheel and once again your markings were transferred to the wrong side of the fabric.

Pounce bags are still used today to mark patterns on quilts although I prefer to use a water soluble pen because if you shake/move fabric too much then the chalk can easily fall away and you are left to wonder where you need to stitch!! LOL

While it should be a valuable tool unfortunately they don't seem to sell for big $$$ and I put this down to the current generation don't do much sewing and times have changed, so have the tools. In saying that I still have the tracing wheel I had to buy for TAFE in the mid 60's although it was just a chrome plated steel (probably gone rusty by now), the one you saw looks like brass and as such should be worth something.

Hope this helps?
    Bronwyn ;-)

Default What is this?

Su

I know where you were when you took this pic.

This particular one is a stitching trace for leather work.

Or it might be a spur for miniature horses

And NO I didn't buy it
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

3K Club Member

Yes, it's the same stall where you gained a hoard of retro icebox hinges and stuff from.