Hire the best Handyman

whats a half decent generator these days? gentrax anygood?

2K Club Member

Default whats a half decent generator these days? gentrax anygood?

looking for something around 2.5KW-3.5KW interver generator, what is good these days but not expensive?
    only be used during power outages for computers.
    come across these, they any good??

https://outbax.com.au/3-5-kw-silent-inverter-generator

https://www.totaltools.com.au/180606...-o-pf312sxi003

https://www.edisons.com.au/genpower-...l-camping-blue

Ching Chong stuff, stay clear of them. Best little generators are Honda powered. They are pricey for good reason.
    I had a 13hp honda generator for 15 years as a backup. Used it may be two or three times a year. Would power up first pull, cold, even with old petrol in it every time.
    I replaced it with a Kubota and forgot about it for 2 years. Pulled it out last week because my daughter wants it to go camping. It took me two pulls this time to start. Can't beat the honda generators.
    Try to find a good second hand one like this one here https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gree...ine/1300739998
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Try to find a good second hand one like this one here https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gree...ine/1300739998
    this one looks like a computer killing generator.

2K Club Member

Wouldn't a UPS be a better idea? How often do you get power outages that you really need a generator
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by havabeer View Post
    Wouldn't a UPS be a better idea? How often do you get power outages that you really need a generator
    not for 6 hour stints. i do have a few UPS's but only around 45 minute run time. need to run business critical computers for sometimes hours during power outages both planned and unexpected. otherwise we come to a halt.

Maybe get a Tesla power wall? Might be out of your budget but it would pay for it'self by load timeshifting.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Maybe get a Tesla power wall? Might be out of your budget buy it would pay for it'self by load timeshifting.
    way out of budget

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    this one looks like a computer killing generator.
    Didn't "kill" mine.
    Then again a voltage stabilizer is something like $30.
    Or ... you can use your battery for the computer and keep it charged with the generator.
    Or you can take a chance at a cheap one and hope for the best. Sometimes you can get lucky with chinese stuff.

The issue with generators is that you forget about them whilst the power is on, and you need to start them in a hurry, fumbling in the dark, when the need comes.
    I go for one pull start every time. And fuel stabiliser in the tank is a must.

When I installed the Kubota (14Kw, 3 phase), I added a solar battery charger on the roof. that keeps the starter battery fully charged all the time.
    All I need to do is to go down with a torch and open the fuel line, turn the battery isolator on, turn the transfer switch, and press start on the generator controller.

Didn't even cost that much. Bought the unit second hand with very low hours from a mining camp in WA. Mounted it on solid skid with 3 toyota engine mounts, added a long exhaust pipe out of the pump room. Battery charger, fuel tank from an old Massey tractor, a few meters of fuel line, fuel water separator and filter, new battery and cables, a flexible exhaust link and I believe that was all. Ebay transfer switch from Tesla, a few hundreds for the electrician ... all in all under $3000. The unit would cost well above $15k

Noise was one concern with the old Honda. Silent generators add a lot to the price. I was afraid at the noise with the diesel engine, but it turned out the long exhaust (2" diameter, 6m long) and one hot dog on the line made it almost silent outside. inside the pump room some mechanical noise but nothing like the old Honda screamer.

link to the thread about my genset installation if you are interested.
    https://www.renovateforum.com/f195/generators-127401/

PS
    If you need technical info on generators, message John2b on this site, he provided me with good information.
    Seneca

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    looking for something around 2.5KW-3.5KW interver generator, what is good these days but not expensive?
    only be used during power outages for computers.

How long are the outages?
    For bugger all extra you could size one up that would run a few additional extras such as your fridge and a few lights maybe a TV for longer outages or some power tools. 4 kVA is generally a good size to easily run a few more necessities including a small split system or a few ceiling fans to keep the troops happy and content! (depending on total load at the time)

I'd also consider putting in a generator bypass switch at your meter/switch board...Budget a sparky for approx $1000
    Its gets old pretty quickly running out and packing up extension leads through doors/windows a few times times a year in either inclement weather or the dark or the boss applying pressure to get that genset up and running because its all too hard for them to do it ...see my point 2 & 3 below.
    For a 4 kVA gen you would need to switch off the applicable breakers that will overload/cut out your getset - eg: aircon, stove/oven

The other key criteria to consider would be:
    1. Sine wave output to ensure your sensitive electronics are not damaged.
    2. If its pull start, then make sure it can be started by the girls as you might not be around when its needed....even my little 2kVA is a struggle for the wife but a piece of cake for me.
    3. If the girls will struggle, consider something with a battery electric start and either check the battery every month or set up some sort of top up charging so its right to use when its needed the most.

I've a 2kVA Kipor for the last 13 years. Chinese made, sine wave output. Picked it up new and 1/2 price off Gumtree. Have had to replace a few minor parts over the years and size wise is perfect for running a couple of computers, phone chargers and a fridge. Is handy and easy to carry around but just a little too small to run a few more items. I've a bigger Honda 8kVA for whole of house running during outages that can go for 3 to 5 days after a big storm.

Bart, I have a Kipor 2kVA as well, the blue one. Bunnings had 2 for $500 each so I snapped it up. But it won't start for quite a few pulls and I suspect the choke is not set properly. How is yours? Also what parts failed on yours?

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Bart, I have a Kipor 2kVA as well, the blue one. Bunnings had 2 for $500 each so I snapped it up. But it won't start for quite a few pulls and I suspect the choke is not set properly. How is yours? Also what parts failed on yours?
    Mine is yellow....possibly the model before the blue.
    Mine started for a long time with 2 to 4 pulls then one day just wouldn't fire.
    Done all the usual - new spark plug, checked and cleaned carby, check hoses for cracks
    Checked for spart and there wasnt any...or very weak.

In the end it was a new ignition module and the plastic vacuum fuel pump had failed (leaking everywhere)
    A $50 each item from memory. There are slightly different configurations of the pump but generally easy enough to find

Cant recall, but doesnt the choke simply restrict the air?
    Also I seem to recall the rotating switch to turn it on/off can become faulty...easy enough to check.
    These are also basic units and relatively easy to pull apart, some good Utube videos and take a few pics as you pull it down for reference.

Why I suspect the choke is because once it starts and warm, I slide the choke off and the motor cuts out. It is still in new condition with maybe 30 hours of use and was difficult to start from the get go.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Why I suspect the choke is because once it starts and warm, I slide the choke off and the motor cuts out. It is still in new condition with maybe 30 hours of use and was difficult to start from the get go.
    a process of trouble shooting through possibilities (a process I went through):

1. Have you check the fuel cap if it has a shut off valve. If it has, then check its in the open position
    2. Check the oil is full, if low, this can cause is to cut out via the low oil sensor. Sometimes could be a faulty sensor although usually you want start it. You could disconnect it or bridge it out (you will need to check which one is correct as I cant recall) and proceed further with tests below if that doesnt resolve the issue
    3. Is the fuel old? if so, drain out including the carby bolt of the bottom and put a litre of fresh fuel in it
    4. Possibly check/clean the carby. May simply be able to undo the bottom bolt on the carby to see if its got crud. If the fuel has been sitting in it for a while (year or 2) it can gum up the carby particularly the ethanol mix
    5. Check your fuel hoses aren't cracked ...sucking in air
    6. Check the spark plug. Is it dirty?, ...or wet after it cuts out - too much fuel, or not enough spark
    7. pull the cord with the sparkplug touching the motor, is it a strong spark, if not, replace the plug.
    8. If ok then could be your ignition coil (cheap to replace)
    9. ...maybe a vacuum fuel pump
    10. ...cant recall if there are adjustment screws on the carby

Define difficult to start - 3 pulls, 10 pulls, 20 pulls?...still could be one of the faults above 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    This was broadly the trouble shooting and replacement of parts which I followed through which are relatively cheap last time I looked.

Jon
    Golden Member

Default whats a half decent generator these days? gentrax anygood?

If it needs the choke to keep it running once it is warm it starts to point towards the mixture being lean.
    Either there is extra air leaking in beyond the carby or there is a fuel restriction.

I suppose that one advantage of the budget induced sinophilia, is that it forces the sinophile to become a boffin in the matter at hand.
    Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    a process of trouble shooting through possibilities (a process I went through):

1. Have you check the fuel cap if it has a shut off valve. If it has, then check its in the open position
    2. Check the oil is full, if low, this can cause is to cut out via the low oil sensor. Sometimes could be a faulty sensor although usually you want start it. You could disconnect it or bridge it out (you will need to check which one is correct as I cant recall) and proceed further with tests below if that doesnt resolve the issue
    3. Is the fuel old? if so, drain out including the carby bolt of the bottom and put a litre of fresh fuel in it.

1-3 no issue. I should add that I can't take the choke fully off or it will cut out, so midway setting and it runs as though the choke is fully off, why I suspect it is hard to start because the choke isn't fully closed. So probably about 10 pulls, maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If it needs the choke to keep it running once it is warm it starts to point towards the mixture being lean.
    Either there is extra air leaking in beyond the carby or there is a fuel restriction.
    Thanks Jon. I will have to pull things apart I guess, but being so new, I just don't expect such issues.

Golden Member

I have a Gentech EPINV7 ke. It’s bigger than you want but I’ve used it for work for the last few years as well as at home for power outages. 7 kva inverter. Mine has around 2000 hours on it and other than an issue with the on off switch has been faultless. I paid around $3500 for it around 3 years ago.

2K Club Member

ended up getting one of these https://www.totaltools.com.au/180606...-o-pf312sxi003
    soooooo much better than the AVR one i have now and quieter and higher rated and appliances work properly on it, house lights dont flicker as it seems to have a smooth output unlike my other one whether there is something wrong with it i dont know.

so how is it wired into your house supply?
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing